• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander and harrassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bdon24

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I have been working for a company for two years, and have been promoted several times since starting work. One of the promotions is what seems to have started all of the problems. We have a woman that works here, and has worked here off and on for about 8 years, and in the last year has been constantly "sick" and misses at least one, but more often several work days a week. I was promoted to a job title that is similar to hers, with a job description that is similar as well, though I still retained all my old duties, my promotion basically just added more of what she used to do. She has admitted that she is no longer up to doing all aspects of her job such as going out into the field (part of her old and my new job description is outside sales). I knew when I was offered this job I would be up against certain resistance from this woman, because though she could no longer effectively do the job, that didnt mean she wanted anyone else doing it either. Anyway, she is by no means my boss, more like my equal in job titles, we are both managers. She (soon after my promotion) started making snide comments to my face, and also to other employees that I work with. She started making a habit of coming into my office 5 or 6 times a day to ask me what I was working on, which after a while begins to grate on the nerves, since what I am doing in MY office is not really any of her business. I handle a VERY large workload, and do not appreciate comments to the effect that I am not working when I am in my office, I am doing god knows what. Constant nit picking comments meant to create arguments, embarass me in front of colleagues, and comments that imply, in front of my boss, that I did something wrong, in the course of my work, that I handled a client wrong, or did not follow up on an order correctly. I feel that I am being harrassed, since this has been going on for over a year. Finally, a few weeks ago, our new receptionist told me that she had been told by this woman that I was writing fake names down into the appointment book for myself so that I would not have to do any interviews. She then proceeded to say that I had been doing this for a while, and that I do that because I am lazy, and I just want her and another employee to do more work. I confronted my boss about this in a controlled rage. This is not the first time I have made a complaint about this co-worker with my boss, listing several other instances of times when she has come in to my office and basically picked a fight with me, to the point that I had to ask her to leave and I shut the door in her face. She sends emails to me constantly, copied to everyone else in the office asking me why I did something or why I didnt do something else, when all she would have had to do was look it up herself. It may be becoming paranoia on my part but it feels like she is continuing to do this almost daily (when she is here) in the hopes that she can catch me when I make a mistake, and in a way so that everyone else can see it.
Obviously, being spoken to about this by our mutual boss has had no effect, and to be honest, I am not the first employee in this company that has had problems with this woman and her harrassment, I am just the most recent.
My question is, since I have complained to my boss, and my boss has taken the appropriate steps to disrupt her harassment and her bad behavior, and it still has not had any effect, do I now need to report this to the human resources department? I am worried that doing that will have an even worse effect on the situation, but to be honest, I love my job, but I am starting to dread coming to work, and breathe a huge sigh of relief when I see that her car is not here, and I know she will be out sick again and not here to bother me. Is there anything else I can do or that I need to do to get this to stop? I am actually putting the feelers out to find a new job in the same field, because I really dont want to be subjected to this person every day anymore, it makes me uncomfortable. I am a professional person, I come here to do my job, and I dont want to get into arguments with an overbearing mean spirited woman every day, but I am also tired of biting my tongue when she insults me or attempts to slander my work ethic and my ability to do my job well in front of my co-workers. Another point, my coworkers have a mix of apathy and relief, because she is picking on ME, not them, and they are relieved that it is me rather than them, but they feel sorry for me at the same time. What a predicament.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can certainly report this to HR, yes. However, nothing she is doing is illegal, so if you are asking whether or not there is any legal action you can take , there is not.

Bdon24

So basically harrassment cannot just be good old fashioned intimidation and relentless snide comments, and lying about someone's work ethic anymore, then right? It has to be based on my race, sex, color, religious affiliation, whatever. But since that is not the case, she is not harrassing me? That seems kind of stupid, it is like a loophole, as long as you do not harass someone on those guidelines, then you are ok?

mlane58

Bdon24 said:
So basically harrassment cannot just be good old fashioned intimidation and relentless snide comments, and lying about someone's work ethic anymore, then right? It has to be based on my race, sex, color, religious affiliation, whatever. But since that is not the case, she is not harrassing me? That seems kind of stupid, it is like a loophole, as long as you do not harass someone on those guidelines, then you are ok?
There isn't any loopholes, its the law under Title VII. As cbg stated its not illegal. It is most certainly unprofessional and unethical, but not illegal. Go to your HR department and speak with them about your concerns.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">