• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander/Libel??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heartintx

What is the name of your state? VA

Is it slander or libel if you are talking about someone via IM? Like if you say you think someone is a b**** and you are basically just talking bad about them, but nothing specific? If so can they use those Im's agaisnt you if they were printed? I know this is kinda general but my daughter is in a situation where she said some things via IM about a friend like 8 months ago...just typical teenage gossip. Well this girls mother broke the law by barging into my house and threatening my daughter on halloween and we pressed charges against her and I think she is trying to use these things. She has been spending a whole lot of time(since she was arrested) with the parent of the boy my daugther was talking to about her daughter. I don't think it will help her with the charges we pressed agaisnt her but can she counter with slander or anything? Keep in kind my daughter has been in the hospital about 6 weeks total since August and has had no contact with this boys family for 8 months and we have had a neighborly relationship with the family of the mom who barged into my house up until like 30 minutes before she freaked out. I guess what I am trying to say is there was no hostility going on at the time, but she told the police I was calling her daughter a whore, etc.( i wasn't even home when this happened) She is trying to make it look like she had "reason" to barg into my home. Hope all this makes sense. I don't know if I am being paranoid. Bottom line she broke the law, we pressed charges and now she is trying to justify her actions by lying.

The Occultist

I didn't get past the first question because I got bored, so I'll say this and hopefully it applies to your situation: libel doesn't apply to opinions.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Here's a solution.

If you think that anything you say, write, IM, text message, etc., might possibly be slander...don't say it (type it, write it, etc.).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">