• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander question!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SnowCajun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I've lived at peace in an apartment complex for 8 years now with zero trouble, but we've gotten a new manager that doesn't follow the rules and she's become quite a headache for everyone. Our building is a secure building that guests have to buzz the apartment they're visiting to be let in, but the new tenant above my apartment has given her ex husband a security key and he comes and goes as he pleases. The leases states no overnight guests for more than 14 nights in a 52 week period, and he's been here regularly for over a month and a half now that we've noticed, and probably longer before we started noticing.

This woman has a 12 year old daughter living with her upstairs and they argue constantly, they curse each other like sailors and fight all the time making tons of noise way past the quiet hours. A neighbor across the hall phoned the police one night when the woman and child were arguing and the girl was screaming, "stop, stop, you're killing me, help .. help!" A week later we called the police, we live under them and heard the girl screaming for help again. We believed we were doing the right thing letting the police check on her safety during this huge sounding disturbance.

Anyway, the manager blew a fuse today when her boyfriend, who lives with her allowed his Pitbull, something bigger than is allowed here, to poop all over the stone walkway that we have to use to take our pets out. When I dared to say anything about it I was screamed at in the hallway in front of others and my tenancy threatened with a statement saying, "I'd better not make anymore false police calls concerning the nice lady in #29 or I should be rethinking my tenancy!" First off I didn't make any false police calls, I only ever made one for a child I thought was in trouble, and secondly I've never had my tenancy threatened before, I've been a perfect tenant for the eight years I've been here. Did this manager slander me by shouting in front of everyone that I'd made false police calls?

Thanks,What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

quincy

Technically, the office manager slandered you if your reputation with another or others has been harmed by his comment, although also, technically, what he said could be seen as the truth - the girl was not really being killed (at least I am assuming she wasn't) and so the police report could be, I suppose, considered "false."

I personally would report the new manager to the apartment owner. With enough complaints by other residents, it may be this new manager who will be rethinking his tenancy. ;)

By the way, if you are asking if there is enough here to support a slander suit, the answer is no.

SnowCajun

By the way, if you are asking if there is enough here to support a slander suit, the answer is no.
No, wasn't looking for a slander suit, just to see if the slander line had been crossed since this was done in front of three other tenants. I'm going to be taking this before a Grievance Committee and eventually the Housing Authority if the Grievance Committee doesn't work.

Our new manager doesn't seem to have a clue about the lease rules or that their signing the contract to abide by those rules means anything to them. After the first tenant called the police on this woman and her child it was this new managers suggestion for us to call the police again if it continued, but now she's changed her tune. When I called I honestly believed the child to be in danger, otherwise I'd have never taken that step. Never the less she really stunned me threatening my tenancy over it, I believe her to be way out of line, I've lived here eight years with zero trouble. Others have caused truck loads of trouble and are still here.

quincy

Neighbors from hell and a nasty and inept apartment manager. What a horrible combination.

I imagine the Grievance Committee will look at appeasing you, a good and long-term resident of the apartment complex, before supporting a new manager who has already racked up a number of complaints from tenants.

There is no question, by the way, that the manager was out of line yelling at you in front of others, implying you were the nuisance and not your rowdy upstairs neighbors. However, other than your plan to take this matter before the Grievance Committee and/or the Housing Authority, there does not appear to be anything worth doing from a legal standpoint.

Good luck.

SnowCajun

However, other than your plan to take this matter before the Grievance Committee and/or the Housing Authority, there does not appear to be anything worth doing from a legal standpoint.

Good luck.
As I grow older, I'm 58 now, I see more and more that folks who stand up for what's right are looked down upon in society. As sad as it sounds I guess that's why we have a Whistle Blower's Act, so people who tell the truth will be protected. God that sounds so backwards doesn't it?

Anyway, thanks for your input, it's been appreciated.

quincy

You're welcome, SnowCajun. I hope that peace returns to your little corner of the world soon. :)

And, as an aside, I am not sure I share your rather pessimistic view of the world. I think that those who stand up for what's right are generally applauded by the masses. It will be the masses, in fact, who later wish that they had had the same strength of character.

SnowCajun

And, as an aside, I am not sure I share your rather pessimistic view of the world. I think that those who stand up for what's right are generally applauded by the masses. It will be the masses, in fact, who later wish that they had had the same strength of character.
I don't disagree with you, but look how the world treats people who stand up with honesty on their side and tell the truth. We have to have a Whistle Blowers Protection Act to protect people who tell the truth, doesn't that sound stupid? While a boss may be thanking you for pointing out people stealing from him, all the while you're dealing with those thieves who are trying to sink a knife in your back for having done so. You're labeled snitch, narc, tattle tale, and a numerous bag full of other less than pleasant names.

It doesn't stop with you either, they'll take it to your childen too, even if they're just in grade school, and it's expecially rough on them if they're in high school. Have you ever watched your children paying for what you've done by standing up for the truth. I have, it's not pleasant. That's our world today and it sickens me. Am I pssimistic, yeah I am, I wish I wasn't but cheap examples of celebrities like Busta Rhymes who watched his buddy killed right in front of his face and wouldn't say a word about who he did it because he knew he'd be labeled a snitch if he spoke up and it'd kill his popularity and record business, it's just not teaching much to our kids these days is it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">