• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander Remark-Is it worth pursuing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikenmoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
My husbands exwife went into a business(adopt-a pet) and told the president that we were going to be bringing in a dop and would "lie and be untruthful" regarding dogs aggression towards kids. The dog does have aggression towards kids and we already spoke to the president a couple days ago and he was going to be evaluated if he was fixable.The fact that she went into a business and called us liars is the problem. Is this pursuable as slander?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
My husbands exwife went into a business(adopt-a pet) and told the president that we were going to be bringing in a dop and would "lie and be untruthful" regarding dogs aggression towards kids. The dog does have aggression towards kids and we already spoke to the president a couple days ago and he was going to be evaluated if he was fixable.The fact that she went into a business and called us liars is the problem. Is this pursuable as slander?
**A: yes it is slander and the dog should sue.

latigo

Is this pursuable as slander?
Plainly the woman’s remarks to the “president” were slanderous. (Slander being defined as words falsely spoken about another person that tend to be injurious to the reputation of that person.)

But viewing the nature of the statements both from the aspects of law and pragmatically I wouldn’t recommend pursuing a lawsuit against the woman.

The reasons being:

1. That in order to recover a judgment against her you would have to prove that her statements cast you in such a disreputable state in the eyes of the community that a jury or trial judge could be expected to assess an appreciable amount of monetary damages.

Plus you would have to produce witnesses to testify that your reputation within the community was thus severely damaged and that it was commonly discussed within the community. Now where would you find such witnesses?

2. It would cost you an arm and leg in legal fees, (and I’m talking fists full of 100 dollar bills) because no competent trial lawyer would take such a case on a contingency fee arrangement.

Toughen up you hide and get on with your life.

Besides the more you react to her pettiness the more you will encourage it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">