• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slander in school?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cplcmkeefer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? pennsylvania
my father passed away. his girlfriends son was at school the other day and a bully said to him that my father was gay, knowing full well that my father was dead. this was esspecially hurtful to me and the poor boy. i believe this would be considered slander, as i know for a fact that my dad was not gay.

antrc170

I don't know if PA allows for defamation suits by estate, but the biggest problem is what injuries have you sustained? Did the estate lose money because of it?

quincy

There is no chance that any defamation action pursued against this bully would be successful in Pennsylvania, based strictly on what facts are presented here.

Not only is the subject of the statement dead, the statement that was made would not (generally) be considered defamatory.

Bullies will say hurtful things. That is why they are called bullies. Why don't you suggest to your father's girlfriend that she, or her son, report the bully to the principal?

TigerD

Why, exactly, would being referred to as gay be slanderous? There is nothing inherently wrong with being gay. Perhaps you are not reacting to the words as much as to your own prejudice?

DC

cyjeff

Bullies say things like this all the time.

It is far better to teach the child how to cope than to launch some ill fated legal action.

After all, I wasn't in love with the Cramer girl, really was kinda scared of that creepy old lady at the end of the street and liked girls.

MY bully said the opposite... didn't change who I was or what I thought of the people around me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">