• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slander of a teacher

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zac495

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hi. I'm a teacher. A parent in my class began telling at least one other parent that I was friends with another teacher who was of questionable character. She went on to say that teacher does drugs. she said to the other parent (in my class) that you are who your friends are (I have this in email). She admitted she wasn't sure if I used drugs. She said I went around "throwing my boobs around." Later, she googled me and went to my principal saying that I participate in forums about sperm banks (true, so?) and that she doesn't like my pictures online (not sure how she found them - no nudity or anything close to that - bathing suits with friends). She told another parent in an email (I have it) that parent should google me.

THe principal just took her kid out of my class to avoid issues. She's been a problem parent before and I'm not in any trouble.

But she is slandering me and I don't like it. I don't really care to sue her unless she continues this. Is it legal for me to call her and tell her that these emails are slander and I can call a lawyer?

thanks.

here it is, my opinion

She went on to say that teacher does drugs. she said to the other parent (in my class) that you are who your friends are (I have this in email). She admitted she wasn't sure if I used drugs.

If you do not use drugs and she is telling people that you do, that is slander and illegal

She said I went around "throwing my boobs around." Later, she googled me and went to my principal saying that I participate in forums about sperm banks (true, so?)

Not slander if it is the truth, she is just telling your business

and that she doesn't like my pictures online (not sure how she found them - no nudity or anything close to that - bathing suits with friends).

Again, she has her own opinion about how you look, not slander.

She told another parent in an email (I have it) that parent should google me.

She can ask others to write to you if she has concerns

But she is slandering me and I don't like it. I don't really care to sue her unless she continues this. Is it legal for me to call her and tell her that these emails are slander and I can call a lawyer?

It is legal to call her but I would send her a letter return receipt, very professional telling her that you are aware she is telling people you use drugs. Tell her that this is slander and it is untrue. Let her know that if you find out that this continues, you will take legal action against her. I would also let the school know what you are going to do ahead of time so that she cannot start another problem there after she gets the letter. By the way, you will need proof in the way of affidavids from the people she spoke to.

thanks.[/QUOTE]

zac495

Who can say if someone "throws their boobs around." I say I don't. THey're big - not like stripper big - sorry - they're big. She doesn't like them.I don't do drugs and Bring it On - investigate me!

I'm thinking of a cease and ... not sure what it's called. I don't want to sue her - just shut her up! What do you think?

justalayman

it's a cease and desist letter and it would obviosly sound more meaningful and more serious if it was sent by an attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But...cease and desist what?
I see nothing slanderous (towards you) in the statements you posted.

zac495

Maybe it's not slander. Here's why I think it is (but appreciate your opinions).
She is telling other parents to google me to find out about my activities on line. She has told parents that I associate with drug users and you are who you're friends are. She says I am of questionable character. This isn't true. I realize if it were, she would have the right to say it. It is true that I discuss sperm bank kids on a site - but it's none of her business and I just would appreciate it if she didn't discuss it. But it's the drugs that are untrue.

Again, I don't care to sue her. What I want is to get her to realize she can't go around saying things about me. I don't want my reputation in the district hurt. Some people do think, "where there's smoke there's fire." So some people might start to think some of this could be true.

Cheers!

The Occultist

Maybe it's not slander. Here's why I think it is (but appreciate your opinions).
Look up the definition of slander. In order for something to qualify as slander, it must be presented as fact and yet be untrue. Opinions are not considered to qualify for slander as that would go against first amendment rights. Telling somebody to Google your name has absolutely nothing to do with slander because anything they find will obviously be true (and remember, it must be false to qualify for slander).

zac495

What you say is true about googling. but isn't it something wrong to go around trying to get others to look it up?

Let's get off the google. How about her saying that I am of questionable character because I have a friend who does drugs. I do NOT have a friend who does drugs. She made that up. She insinuates that I do them, too.

I do understand what you're saying. It may be that she's just a nasty person and not a slanderous one. I am NOT looking for money. I just want her to stop.

Cheers,

The Occultist

If all you want is for her to stop, then you've gotten your advice already: send a intellectual-sounding cease and desist letter.

zac495

:) Thanks everyone. As it turns out, the crazy lady called and apologized last night. I was lukewarm, but I did appreciate the apology. So I'm not going to do anything.

It was really nice having a place to discuss this. You are all very intelligent sounding people.

Ellen

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">