• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander In the work Place

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theknewguy2000

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am very curious about what to do. I received and email from HR about a lady in a different dept that broke her arm and needed a ride to and from work for a while. The email was sent out to all the people living in a curtain city (about 60 miles from work) and I noticed that there were people on the list that I had worked with and see daily. First off I am a help desk tech and I am out on the business floor all day talking and interacting with people. I sent and email to one women (who I am not attracted to but see walk by my desk all the time) and said “Hi How are you? You live in springs too? (The town we live in) I didn’t know there were sooo many people making that crazy drive each day." This was totally innocent I thought. Well I get called in by a few friends later in the day, they asked me if I emailed her and I say yes and then they inform me that she is telling people I am a SLALKER!!!! I have never said one thing to this woman before this. My question is is there anything I can do about this, I work in a company of 800 people that I see face to face every day and really don’t want a reputation for something that I didn’t do. HELP!!!!

K

krispenstpeter

And what should we help you with? It's her opinion that you are a stalker. And her opinion means little unless HR decides to do something about it.

As for you, there is absolutely nothing you can do. Except of course, keep work e-mail out of your private life.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

theknewguy2000 said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

I am very curious about what to do. I received and email from HR about a lady in a different dept that broke her arm and needed a ride to and from work for a while. The email was sent out to all the people living in a curtain city (about 60 miles from work) and I noticed that there were people on the list that I had worked with and see daily. First off I am a help desk tech and I am out on the business floor all day talking and interacting with people. I sent and email to one women (who I am not attracted to but see walk by my desk all the time) and said “Hi How are you? You live in springs too? (The town we live in) I didn’t know there were sooo many people making that crazy drive each day." This was totally innocent I thought. Well I get called in by a few friends later in the day, they asked me if I emailed her and I say yes and then they inform me that she is telling people I am a SLALKER!!!! I have never said one thing to this woman before this. My question is is there anything I can do about this, I work in a company of 800 people that I see face to face every day and really don’t want a reputation for something that I didn’t do. HELP!!!!

My response:

You sent her ONE e-mail, and she's accusing you of criminal conduct?

Her conduct, then, is beyond anything HR can do for you. I'd sue her for "slander per se". That will shut her up!

IAAL

theknewguy2000

I understand that someone has their opinion, but when it is said out loud and to other people I believe that that changes the definition to slander, Especially when it changes the way that other look at you and when it is false. Or there wouldn’t be such a word right?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

theknewguy2000 said:
I understand that someone has their opinion, but when it is said out loud and to other people I believe that that changes the definition to slander, Especially when it changes the way that other look at you and when it is false. Or there wouldn’t be such a word right?

My response:

Why are you questioning this after I wrote my response to you?

IAAL

K

krispenstpeter

Why are you questioning this after I wrote my response to you?

P

Positively

Work email

I would go to HR and let them know about it, just to CYA. These things have a way of getting blown out of proportion, TRUST me on this. Don't wait, do it right away and make sure you back it up with a letter, just to have some documentation. Lots of corporations are evil, and evil things happen in them all the time. Go to HR before this crazy bitch does. And keep ALL correspondence!!!

jmeloow

hmm..

As I understand it... and I have had to research this on my own recently... it takes a series of actions to amount to stalking. One email, or even one encounter on the street, means nothing. If it continues to happen, especially after being asked not to contact her, then you have a problem.

However, if you have not actually suffered any loss after her accusations then you probably don't have much to argue. If you had somehow been reprimanded by your HR then your case would be better.

As said previously, just go to HR to cover yourself and don't contact the woman anymore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">