• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone is spreads rumors, its threatening my marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wannaknow12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI
Some I knew just before I met my now husband is now friends with some people my husbands know, 13 years later. He is telling these people, and its spreading like wild fire, that when I first started dating my husband I was sleeping with him also. This is UNTRUE! He pursued me back in the day, but I didnt respond. Now my husband's reputation is on the line as well as marriage. My husband, and I, cannot understand why this person is doing this. Things are really rocky in my marraige and I do not know how to stop this person. I thought of finding him and questioning him, but Im afraid this might make it worse. Do I have any legal grounds to help me out here?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Some I knew just before I met my now husband is now friends with some people my husbands know, 13 years later. He is telling these people, and its spreading like wild fire, that when I first started dating my husband I was sleeping with him also. This is UNTRUE! He pursued me back in the day, but I didnt respond. Now my husband's reputation is on the line as well as marriage. My husband, and I, cannot understand why this person is doing this. Things are really rocky in my marraige and I do not know how to stop this person. I thought of finding him and questioning him, but Im afraid this might make it worse. Do I have any legal grounds to help me out here?
From 13 years ago...
Seriously - this guy's statements have nothing to do with the present day. I suspect you have much more going on...

Antigone*

If this kind of talking is rocking your marriage, then it was already on very sandy ground. I suggest some counselling for both you and your partner.

Proserpina

This is a game of he said/she said; frankly your husband should trust you at your word and let that be the end of it.

Ignore this other man.

By pursuing him you're actually increasing the suspicion - a course of action I do NOT recommend. Simply present a united front, laugh at the inanity of the rumors and show the world that this man is obviously just a bitter ex!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">