• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

take her serious or just ignore her

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gcpir

can I be sued for posting a link to ripoff report.
com? I did not create any of the reports about this person, however I found them while doing a search and published them I never said they were true but stated the public should judge for themselves . The person also stated a lie about our volunteer group stating a business was upset with us and that our group screwed up everything it touched . we spoke directly to the owner of the business and found out this is a blatant lie . we called them on that and stated she is a liar and posted the ripoff report.com link we found she stated she is going to try sue us for posting the link and calling her a liar . any chance she has a case or should we worry?the lady has a long extensive history of death threats against people , threatening suicide smost peoples pages saying shes the reincarnation of people and also related to numerous people . she has stated she will sue anyone whom disagrees with her. I cant find anything on the net about her winning or filing a suit. we are thinking of just ignoring her.?

FlyingRon

Nothing can prevent people from suing. Posting false statements about people in a public forum with the intent to harm them is certainly actionable. What makes you think qualifying it with "the public should judge for themselves" makes your lies somewhat legitimate.

On the other hand, it's easy to threaten a lawsuit. Slightly harder to actually file one, and more difficult to prevail. Your best bet is to ignore her on all counts and stop publishing statements about her unless you are very careful to make sure they are true.

quincy

can I be sued for posting a link to ripoff report.
com? I did not create any of the reports about this person, however I found them while doing a search and published them I never said they were true but stated the public should judge for themselves . The person also stated a lie about our volunteer group stating a business was upset with us and that our group screwed up everything it touched . we spoke directly to the owner of the business and found out this is a blatant lie . we called them on that and stated she is a liar and posted the ripoff report.com link we found she stated she is going to try sue us for posting the link and calling her a liar . any chance she has a case or should we worry?the lady has a long extensive history of death threats against people , threatening suicide smost peoples pages saying shes the reincarnation of people and also related to numerous people . she has stated she will sue anyone whom disagrees with her. I cant find anything on the net about her winning or filing a suit. we are thinking of just ignoring her.?
Yes, you can be sued for posting a link to Ripoff Report, if the report contains false and defamatory content. You would, in essence, be repeating the defamation and spreading the lies. You are more likely to be sued, however, if you add text with your link, claiming something about the report, or its author, or the company or individual featured in the report, that is false. But, whether you are the creator of a defamatory report on Ripoff Report, directing the public to a defamatory report through a link, or providing a link and adding text commenting on the defamatory report and its author, you can be sued.

The creators of Ripoff Reports, and the owner of Ripoff Report, can be and have been sued with some frequency in the past, with varying degrees of success.*

Ripoff Report, at its inception, was considered a legitimate consumer complaint site. It is no longer regarded that way. Ripoff Report has become a site known for attracting those who are unable to resolve their disputes in a mature fashion, or who find no legal channels exist for handling their type of dispute. In fact, most of the published disputes featured in the reports are minor in nature. These normally-inconsequential disputes are often blown out of proportion by individuals with an inability to view life and its naturally-occurring irritants realistically. It is important to note that the content of all reports published on the site are unmoderated and uncorroborated.

Although I know there are some who still take the reports seriously (hence the defamation suits that arise from the published content), intelligent people will find with a little investigation that Ripoff Report is just another platform for the disgruntled and disenchanted and delusional to find an audience they are unable to find in real life.

It is often best, as FlyingRon noted, to ignore what is published on the site.

*when I have a little more time, I will post back for your review some of the many cases spawned by Ripoff Report and its content

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">