• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time to fight back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jovan10

:mad::confused::confused::(What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Atlanta Ga Ive been accused falsely by a store associate in the store. kroger is the store This has even gotten to my church. i can't believe this, one day myself and my daughter was walking in the store an one of the store associate said i put meat under my coat under his breat.I know that I can go to another store but this has hurt my reputation in church and in my community, help me please.

jovan10

No the police whore not called, I worked in the finace and banking industry and people that I work with go to my church. this can hurt me bad I feel. this is a joke with this person and Iam not laughing.

quincy

How did others find out what the Kroger's associate said to you in the store?

Is it possible that your daughter could have told some friends that you were questioned in Kroger's about a meat theft? I know that kids often find the things a parent would most like to keep quiet are the most interesting things to tell to others.

But, whatever the case, being approached in a store by a store employee, and being accused by this employee of theft, is not actionable in and of itself. If this employee is telling others you are a thief, however, falsely and without proof, then it would be defamatory.

A successful defamation action would hinge on proof that the employee defamed you to others (what exactly was said, by whom, to whom, and why), and would depend on demonstrable reputational injury you have suffered as a result of the false accusation of theft. Potential harm that may be realized in the future is not reputational injury and cannot support a defamation action.

I do not think, based on what you have posted here, that any legal action would be worth your time, the trouble or the expense of pursuing. I think you would be wisest to let the Kroger manager know how upset you were at being falsely accused of stealing meat, and then just shop at another store. And simply tell all who ask about the incident the truth - that it was a mistake on the employee's part.

Last edited:

swalsh411

Are you reasonably well off financially and otherwise respected in your church and other circles? If so I wouldn't worry about it. Most people are going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">