• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tough cookies??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brian99

two days before Christmas (23,dec,2010) i went to do some last minute shopping at kohl's (Collinsville, il)with my girlfriend. we went to check out and i attempted to use my debit card to buy the items. the cashier had me swipe my card a few times and said my card had been declined and i needed to get a hold of my bank. i was embarrassed of course but didn’t understand because i had plenty of money in the bank. the bank was closed so i used my cell phone to bring up my online bank statement to see what was going on. it turned out that i had been charged even though the cashier said i had been declined. well i went back in and ended up speaking to a manager(Julie) who was loud enough for the packed store to hear everything going on. For aprox 30mins I was talked to in a way that made it look like I was trying to steal/scam the store. Everyone was staring and could hear everything going on! I have never been so embarrassed in my life! she refused to let me bring home the items i paid for claiming that this was a bank mess up and that it was not kohls fault. My family didn’t get the presents I intended to give them for Christmas and I was out money.

after a few days of waiting and speaking to my bank sure enough the charge cleared and kohls did in fact have my money. i went back to the store last night(27,dec,2010) with paper work in hand from my bank and spoke with a different manager(james) who in front of a packed store for about an hour spoke about what happened. he was condescending and rude as well. after speaking with my bank and visa on the phone in front of the store where anyone could hear- i was given the amount i was owed from the store's petty cash. although he gave me money he said the store was still going to dispute the matter. regardless of what the bank and Visa said.

so i'm still a bit po'd.
tough cookies? or is there anthing i can do?

What is the name of your state? IllinoisWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

I used to be an assistant manager at Dillards. You would be amazed at the number of people who DO attempt to scam the store with ****amamie stories especially around the holidays when they know the staff is swamped/tired/cranky. The vast majority of debit card purchases process flawlessly for all parties so anytime it does not work like it's supposed to you can expert there to be extra scrutiny. It's entirely possible your bank screwed up and the store is not required to give you free merchandise because of that. Just because your bank took your money out of your account doesn't mean the retailer has it.

As to how you were treated; you can show your displeasure by not shopping there anymore, telling your friends, or writing a letter to the corporate office. If they investigate I guaruntee that the manager will have a very different account of things as well as employee witnesses to back him up.

What did you expect the store to do? Take your word for it and give you free stuff? Your recourse is to dispute the charge with your bank. They gave you back your money so you would go away.

quincy

I agree with swalsh and I can add that it may not have been the store OR the bank that was fault. Sometimes the authorization company's machine malfunctions and a card is declined when it shouldn't have been. The bank may okay the release of funds but, when the authorization company shows a sale has been declined, the merchant does not receive an authorization code. Without an authorization code, the store cannot collect on the funds already okayed for release by the bank.

It is frustrating and embarrassing, but it happens.

Regardless of where the error originated, however, the store staff and the store manager should have shown more respect for you and discussed the matter with you in private. A letter to corporate headquarters as swalsh suggested, detailing the facts of your experience and your treatment by store employees, can produce satisfactory results (ie. a letter of apology and, perhaps, a gift card). Don't embellish any facts in your letter, however.

But your situation is not one that would warrant the high costs of a defamation suit, nor would the facts as you have related them here support such a suit.

Antigone*

The OP should have disputed the fraudulent charge with his bank and been done with it. The bank would have returned his money without the OP even going back into the store.

The Occultist

The OP should have disputed the fraudulent charge with his bank and been done with it. The bank would have returned his money without the OP even going back into the store.
Agreed; once the consumer alerts the bank to a fraudulent charge, the consumer is advised to refrain from contacting the merchant in regards to the situation.

Brian99

thank you for the responses

i kinda figured that there prob wasn’t much to be done but thought i'd ask.
(although the catalyst)it was never about the money. i just was quite frustrated about how i was treated.
As far as the manager's mood goes - there is something to be said about having a long day and being in a bad mood but it was really inappropriate.

thank you all for your responses and advice. it is very much appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">