• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The use of 'infamous'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tdot

So I'm the Editor in Chief of a local magazine and in my latest Letter from the Editor I referred to a local socialite type as 'the infamous ..... '

My question is regarding describing someone as infamous when referring to them. Am I in danger of being successfully sued for libel? I don't know the person personally, but everyone I know really doesn't like them whether they've met her or not.

Thanks very much. I work in China but would like the US law perspective please.

justalayman

do you have any idea of the definition of infamous? You should probably look it up if you have any question. Then figure out if it in itself is defamatory.
Not being liked would not cause a person to be considered infamous.

The Occultist

I work in China but would like the US law perspective please.
Chinese laws are very, very different from that of the US, so I'm a bit confused on why US law would help you. Even in the US, the answer can be different going from state to state (which is why you are asked for the name of your state when you post your question).

quincy

Not really, Indiana.

From Webster's:
infamous -
1. having a very bad reputation; notorious; in disgrace or dishonor.
2. causing or deserving a bad reputation; scandalous; outrageous.
3. In Law: a) punishable by imprisonment in a penitentiary (said of certain crimes, usually felonies); b) guilty of such a crime.

infamy -
1. very bad reputation; notoriety; disgrace; dishonor.
2. the quality of being infamous; great wickedness.
3. In Law: loss of reputation and certain civil rights suffered by a person as a result of being convicted of an infamous crime.

In the U.S., a publisher could risk a defamation lawsuit for falsely labeling someone "infamous."

Last edited:

AlexB18

So I'm the Editor in Chief of a local magazine and in my latest Letter from the Editor I referred to a local socialite type as 'the infamous ..... '

My question is regarding describing someone as infamous when referring to them. Am I in danger of being successfully sued for libel? I don't know the person personally, but everyone I know really doesn't like them whether they've met her or not.

Thanks very much. I work in China but would like the US law perspective please.
Depends on the state, context, etc... you'd have to be more specific here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">