• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal threats against a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heather13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida: I recently had back surgery so my husband was helping me with bathing,my stepson (age 17 ) offered to walk our small dog to help his father. It was 9pm ( we walk our dog late because there are too many distractions eariler in the evening) the dog pulled my stepson into a yard by the fence because of a squirel, the owner of the house came running out of the house with his large dog yelling and cussing at my stepson and threatened to turn loose his dog to attack him. My stepson appologised to the man and explained that he was walking the dog and the dog pulled him into the yard.The man continued to yell and cus at my stepson and made the neighbors call the police.My stepson was made to wait until the police arrived by threats from the homeowner to release his dog and tear him up.When the police arrived my husband was called and we walked down there to talk to the officer. It seemed that everything was resolved at that time.It was only later that we found out about the owner yelling and cussing and threatening him.I was wondering if there is anything we can do about this my stepson was really shaken up and scared (he is a little mentaly young for his age) I would have resolved this at the time ,however I did not find out about the entire incident until later that night after my stepson calmmed down a little and was able to talk about it.Please help any advise would be great, Thanks Heather

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida: I recently had back surgery so my husband was helping me with bathing,my stepson (age 17 ) offered to walk our small dog to help his father. It was 9pm ( we walk our dog late because there are too many distractions eariler in the evening) the dog pulled my stepson into a yard by the fence because of a squirel, the owner of the house came running out of the house with his large dog yelling and cussing at my stepson and threatened to turn loose his dog to attack him. My stepson appologised to the man and explained that he was walking the dog and the dog pulled him into the yard.The man continued to yell and cus at my stepson and made the neighbors call the police.My stepson was made to wait until the police arrived by threats from the homeowner to release his dog and tear him up.When the police arrived my husband was called and we walked down there to talk to the officer. It seemed that everything was resolved at that time.It was only later that we found out about the owner yelling and cussing and threatening him.I was wondering if there is anything we can do about this my stepson was really shaken up and scared (he is a little mentaly young for his age) I would have resolved this at the time ,however I did not find out about the entire incident until later that night after my stepson calmmed down a little and was able to talk about it.Please help any advise would be great, Thanks Heather
I would suggest that you refrain from sending your dog out with somebody that cannot control said dog.

heather13

Reply to said dog

The said dog is not uncontrollable;he is a Carin Terrier just like TOTO! not mean in any way just loves to chase squirels. It was the other guys dog that was mean,and yes we have not let our son walk the dog anymore.That being said,how about the threats made against my son? He was threatened after he said sorry to the guy several times it was a honest mistake on my sons part and he has learned his lesson.I never said the dog was uncontrollable just easily distracted from doing his business on his walk if he sees another dog,person,or animal.It seems to me that everyone is more interested in the "said dog" then the guy who threatened my son with letting his dog attack my son.What would you do if this had happened to your son? Just yell at your son? It seems to me that with all the things out there that teenagers can get into and all the trouble they can cause,trying to help his parents by walking our dog cause I had back surgery and just got out of the hospital is not a problem.

quincy

First, this is not a defamation issue. :)

Your stepson should have mentioned the threats when the police first arrived to address the matter. There could have been some action they may have been able to take at that time. Now, however, there is probably little that can be done. The threats were made, the dog was not released, no one was hurt, life goes on.

You may wish to file a complaint with the police anyway, however, so that if the neighbor ever decides to hurl additional threats at your stepson or anyone else, the police will have on record the first incident.

In the meantime, it is probably wise to avoid, as much as possible, the ornery neighbor. Mean people exist. Hopefully this particular mean person will be the only one your stepson ever has the unfortunate experience of encountering.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">