• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

voice recording

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

busclas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Do I need to inform the other party involved in the conversation that I am recording our conversation. I want to record the conversation for legal purposes. Can I secretly record our conversation and it be held as evidence in a court of law in the state of Kentucky without informing the other party of what I am doing??

Roo

The simple answer is that Kentucky is a one party consent state. As for its admissibility, that's questionable.
You do know that someone saying bad stuff about you, to you, doesn't harm you, right?
It may hurt your feelings but it's not against the law.

quincy

First, Kentucky's telephone recording law is covered under Kentucky's Rev. Stat. Ann. Section 526.010.

In Colorado (Rev. Stat. section 18-9-303), which like Kentucky is a "one-party consent" state, it is legal to record a conversation of which one party is aware of the recording and consents to its being recorded. There are some caveats, however.

It is generally improper for an attorney to direct or authorize the surreptitious recording of a conversation, as it can be considered fraud, dishonest, deceitful or a misrepresentation, and an attorney may not secretly record a conversation he has with another lawyer or person. There are some exceptions for criminal law investigations. An attorney may not be able to use recorded evidence if collected through his direction.

If a client has recorded a conversation independently, however, an attorney should be able to use the recorded conversation as evidence if it was recorded legally. And an attorney can advise his client on the legalities of recording conversations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">