• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water Company/Defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jck1960

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

My water company turned my service off while I was out of town working. My friend went to see what the problem was and was told that I had not paid since June and that there was a padlock cut from my meter so they turned it off. The water company called my landlord and basically called me a liar and a thief. They told my friend the same thing. I called them to try to starighten it out and was told the same. I had to pay $185 to have service restored, leaving me stranded at work miles from home with 11 cents left in my account. My water was not cut off in June.I have my cancelled checks with the water company deposit stamp on them. I certainly never cut any lock to steal water. I am sure it is a clerical error of sorts and that is fine. I can straighten that out easily enough. The part that I can't let go of is publicly being tagged a liar and a thief. Am I just being petty or should I seek legal assistance. I was humiliated by the matter as was my friend. The people were very rude to her in front of alot of people.

swalsh411

So your account was fine, they turned off your water because of some clerical error, and made you pay $185 to have it turned back on? I'm not buying it.

There is no law that says the water company cannot tell people that you are behind in your bill.

Hot Topic

So you're telling us that the water company gives out personal information to anyone who says they're a friend of the account holder.

You shouldn't have involved your friend. You owe her an apology.

I don't buy your story any more than swalsh411 does.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">