• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do about this ongoing harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boredomblue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Long story short a girl has been telling people that we dated, that I choked her, and that I am psychotic. We had gotten close around 4 months ago, I decided to break things off, she does not like that and the lies start. Well earlier today I received a letter from the college she attends telling me that I am banned from the college due to my conflict with said girl, and if I set foot upon the college legal action will be taken.

Now this girl has already ruined my name by telling her lies, and now I cannot go to the campus any more. (I don't go to school there luckily, just workout at the gym).

Normally I would shrug this off but it doesn't seem to be stopping.

quincy

The girl you briefly dated defamed you if she falsely claimed to others that you choked her and if she falsely stated to others that you are psychotic. Reputational injury can be demonstrated by the fact that she communicated these false statements to the college and the college has banned you from their property as a result.

However, defamation suits are costly to pursue and there is no guarantee you would win such a suit. The suit would largely be a matter of he said/she said. In addition, the college is well within their rights to ban you from their premises to protect their students, even if the banning is based solely on a student's word that you pose a threat and even if this supposed threat is not substantiated.

You may wish to review the facts of your situation with an attorney in your area, however. After a discussion with the attorney, you may decide to have the attorney send a cease and desist letter to the girl (with a cc to the college). The C&D can advise the girl that legal action is being considered and may be pursued if she does not immediately halt the telling of defamatory lies. The letter could also ask that she retract the statements already made.

A cease and desist letter could be enough to get her to stop the lies. I doubt, however, that it will be enough to restore any privileges you may have had on the college campus in the past.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">