• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Can I Write On a Picket Sign in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sashton1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

A business fixed my 19 year old son's car improperly, caused severe damage costing thousands more to fix. I have tried to resolve it peacefully, but now want to picket outside their shop.

I will be bringing several people and will be handing out the facts of the case using the letters that were written by the garage that eventually did the repairs, and the letters from the errant shop.

I want to carry signs that let passerby know they improperly fixed our car/caused more damage/cost me lots of $$$ to fix etc.

This is my 19 year old son's car and he is suffering from a pre-cancerous condition called Peutz-Jeghers syndrome. While all of this was going on my son was having colonoscopies to remove 12 polyps from his bowels, upper endoscopies, and tests for a growth in his lung.

We have been through A LOT and while I don't need the extra stress this is going to bring on, we have tons of medical bills and this shop has us out over $3,000.

I want to picket, but need to be careful with my wording.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sandra

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

A business fixed my 19 year old son's car improperly, caused severe damage costing thousands more to fix. I have tried to resolve it peacefully, but now want to picket outside their shop.

I will be bringing several people and will be handing out the facts of the case using the letters that were written by the garage that eventually did the repairs, and the letters from the errant shop.

I want to carry signs that let passerby know they improperly fixed our car/caused more damage/cost me lots of $$$ to fix etc.

This is my 19 year old son's car and he is suffering from a pre-cancerous condition called Peutz-Jeghers syndrome. While all of this was going on my son was having colonoscopies to remove 12 polyps from his bowels, upper endoscopies, and tests for a growth in his lung.

We have been through A LOT and while I don't need the extra stress this is going to bring on, we have tons of medical bills and this shop has us out over $3,000.

I want to picket, but need to be careful with my wording.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sandra
There are several things you must consider, in addition to the wording on your picket sign(s) and in your handbills.

As to the wording on your sign(s) and in your handbills, you need to be truthful in all that you say about the business. Do not state or imply any false facts. Do not exaggerate your experience. Do not embellish.

Every fact you state should have evidence to support it.

While your son's medical condition is a sad one and I am sorry to hear that you as a family are having to struggle with it, it has no bearing on the improper repairs you are claiming. Do not try to make your son's medical history part of your picket against the business.

When you are picketing and distributing your literature, you must not obstruct or impede any individual from picking up or delivering or transporting any goods to or from the business, or from performing services for the business. You should not block the public from entering or leaving the business.

You should avoid in your picketing trespassing on the private property of the business. You should confine your picketing to public property by the business.* You want to avoid trespassing and disorderly conduct charges being filed against you and/or an injunction issued against your activity.

You must remember at all times that you are handling a business reputation - and business reputations are valuable.

To ensure that what you have written does not defame any individual or the business, and to ensure that you are not violating any city or township ordinances, I suggest you review your picketing plans with an attorney in your area. Your right to picket and pass out handbills is a guaranteed right - but there can be restrictions as to time, place and manner.

Good luck.

*Under some circumstances and in some cases, picketing on "private property" could be allowed. See Food Employees v Logan Plaza, 391 US 308 (1968).

Last edited:

eerelations

Agree. The mature, responsible, appropriate and least stressful way to handle this would be to sue in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">