• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What constitutes libel/slander/defamation???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misslawli

What is the name of your state?Az
I have a question that many may think is stupid. What exactly constitutes libel/slander/defamation? I can't find the definitions. Basically it boils down to this: I had a "friend" who I had let move in with me almost 2years ago September. He was in a really hard spot, single father of 2 kids,B-6 & G-5. and I was trying to help him out. In february, things were not going well. We helped each other out by watching each others kids on 1 of each others days off. In feb., I told him I would no longer watch his kids and mine would be going to the babysitters full time. He asked why and I told him "I refused to be disrespected and verbally abused by a 5 & 6 year old." They would not follow rules and they (this is his wording)"under no circumstance were to be disciplined." The house was trashed and he would not help me clean it up or make the kids help. a month later I moved out of MY house, and told him to find a new place to live. I knew he was broke and had nowhere to go so I went to stay with my mom till he was gone. During that time he totally destroyed my home. Ripped doors off of hinges, holes in the walls, allowed the kids to go into my room and destroy my property.( I would go to the house and visit, see how things were going with the home search And I NAILED the door shut TWICE.)Finally in june I told him thats enough hurry it up or get an official eviction notice. He finally left.During this time the Neighbor was baby sitting his kids. He told her that he would not allow me to watch his kids any more because I was beating them and not feeding them when I watched them. And that I made them sit in thier room the whole time with no heat or tv. Then to pay the neighbor since he didn't have any money he traded MY PROPERTY to her in return for babysitting services. After he left I went over there to finde several things missing. I told my property manager and she said she thought she knew where most of it was. The neigbor came and talked to me and was nice enough to give me back the TV, stereo, A/C unit,recliner, microwave and the toaster oven. I did tell a few people what happened. I did not lie or make up anything. He has also tried to get me and two of my friends fired from our work for "malicious Gossip" (gossip is a bad BAD thing with my employer and dealt with severly) All because One of them asked his girlfriend if she was pregnant. (she was 7 months along at the time) He swears that he is going to sue me for all three. Slander/libel/Defamation. Because I told a few of my friends about the property that he gave away. ( turns out one of those friends isn't such a great friend) Do I have anything to worry about?? I am sorry this is so long but I wanted to get the whole story in. He has done nothing but cause problems for me, I try to ingore him but that makes matters worse. thanx

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Posting a question in the forum? Your question may have already been answered. Please first check our home page links to full sections of professionally answered questions. Then search the forums archive of over 600,000 previously posted Q & A s.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">