• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

While Hunting with dogs in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hound Hunter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

While hunting coyotes with dogs, 1 of my dogs got hit by a car & killed. The car had some damage. Now here is what happened. The dogs chased a coyote & crossed several roads. The dogs had gps collars on them so I could keep track of them. I had a couple guys watching the roads to prevent this type of thing from happening. 1 of the guys(Mike) was sitting in a parking lot of a barbershop, that was closed. The dogs had just crossed there. My friends that were hunting, were a couple hundred yards down in the woods accross a large creek. They started shooting at the coyote. The guy that lives accross the road from the barbershop(Willie), came out of his house & started yelling at Mike. At first Willie thought Mike was shooting, Mike told him it wasn't him, it was the guys on the other side of the creek. Mike also told him that he wasn't hunting he was just watching the roads so the dogs wouldn't get hit. Willie kept harassing him telling him that we weren't allowed hunting on Sunday. Mike informed him that in PA you are allowed to hunt coyotes on Sundays. Willie kept yelling at him & wouldn't listen to anything he said. Willie told him that he was calling the State Police. Mike told him to go ahead. Willie siad he was getting his license number. Again Mike told him to go ahead. Willie kept repeating this, Mike told him to do what ever he had to do but if he was taking his license number to get it because he was going to pull out. Mike thought the dogs were safe & he was tired of all the harassment. The only reason he left this spot was because of Willie yelling at him. 1 of my dogs didn't cross the creek & came back to the road. This is when it was struck & killed. Within minutes the State Police arrived.

This is when I showed up. 1 police car was at the barbershop along with the car that hit my dog. I made sure nobody was hurt & we exchanged information. A 2nd Police car came pulling in. Willie was also there. Willie started telling the 2nd policeman about the deer hunters shooting deer across from his house & behind his house. I told him that wasn't us. He said he knew that. He then continued complaining about the deer hunters, again I told him "that wasn't us, we did nothing wrong". He said I realize that now, but thats a hiking trail over there what are you doing hunting by a hiking trail. I said " It's open to public hunting". He said well there was a lady cross country skiing over there a while ago, what are you doing hunting where she is skiing. I said "What is she doing skiing where we are hunting"? The 2nd Policeman then pulled Willie to the side & told him to "Back Off".

The police found that we were not doing anything wrong. Am I responsible for the damage to the car that hit my dog? Can I have hunter harassment charges pressed on Willie? Could I file a civil suit against Willie for the price of the dog & the repair cost of the car? Keep in mind that none of this would of happened if Willie would of let Mike alone. Mike would of been there to catch the dog.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
All that fluff, but it boils down to this question:

My dog was running wild off-leash. Am I responsible for the damage caused to the vehicle that struck my dog?
Answer: It depends on the local and state ordinances with regard to maintaining control of your dog. I would venture that the answer is yes.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

While hunting coyotes with dogs, 1 of my dogs got hit by a car & killed. The car had some damage. Now here is what happened. The dogs chased a coyote & crossed several roads. The dogs had gps collars on them so I could keep track of them. I had a couple guys watching the roads to prevent this type of thing from happening. 1 of the guys(Mike) was sitting in a parking lot of a barbershop, that was closed. The dogs had just crossed there. My friends that were hunting, were a couple hundred yards down in the woods accross a large creek. They started shooting at the coyote. The guy that lives accross the road from the barbershop(Willie), came out of his house & started yelling at Mike. At first Willie thought Mike was shooting, Mike told him it wasn't him, it was the guys on the other side of the creek. Mike also told him that he wasn't hunting he was just watching the roads so the dogs wouldn't get hit. Willie kept harassing him telling him that we weren't allowed hunting on Sunday. Mike informed him that in PA you are allowed to hunt coyotes on Sundays. Willie kept yelling at him & wouldn't listen to anything he said. Willie told him that he was calling the State Police. Mike told him to go ahead. Willie siad he was getting his license number. Again Mike told him to go ahead. Willie kept repeating this, Mike told him to do what ever he had to do but if he was taking his license number to get it because he was going to pull out. Mike thought the dogs were safe & he was tired of all the harassment. The only reason he left this spot was because of Willie yelling at him. 1 of my dogs didn't cross the creek & came back to the road. This is when it was struck & killed. Within minutes the State Police arrived.

This is when I showed up. 1 police car was at the barbershop along with the car that hit my dog. I made sure nobody was hurt & we exchanged information. A 2nd Police car came pulling in. Willie was also there. Willie started telling the 2nd policeman about the deer hunters shooting deer across from his house & behind his house. I told him that wasn't us. He said he knew that. He then continued complaining about the deer hunters, again I told him "that wasn't us, we did nothing wrong". He said I realize that now, but thats a hiking trail over there what are you doing hunting by a hiking trail. I said " It's open to public hunting". He said well there was a lady cross country skiing over there a while ago, what are you doing hunting where she is skiing. I said "What is she doing skiing where we are hunting"? The 2nd Policeman then pulled Willie to the side & told him to "Back Off".

The police found that we were not doing anything wrong. Am I responsible for the damage to the car that hit my dog? Can I have hunter harassment charges pressed on Willie? Could I file a civil suit against Willie for the price of the dog & the repair cost of the car? Keep in mind that none of this would of happened if Willie would of let Mike alone. Mike would of been there to catch the dog.
From "Black's Law Dictionary," the definition of defamation:

Defamation is an intentional false communication, either published or publicly spoken, that injures another's reputation or good name. ... Defamation is that which tends to injure reputation; to diminish the esteem, respect, goodwill or confidence in which the plaintiff is held ... Statement which exposes person to contempt, hatred, ridicule or obloquy.

In your story, there has been no defamation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">