• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workplace defamation of character and violation of privacy issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sleepyhead145

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Two questions for you folks.

A former coworker of mine was ask to transfer to another location and chose to quit. She then filed a false claim for unemployment (which was denied) stating that she was a victim of 'workplace abuse' and she directly named me. She was a manager in a position of authority of me. I guarantee you there is no truth to her claim. However, since then my employer has made a comment to the effect that 'there must have been something to her claim' and I am receiving different treatment than others. Is this defemation of character?

Also, in the past I have asked questions regarding the promotion process where I work. One person was put into the management program simply because she needed health care benefits. I did question the fairness of this. The other day my supervisor saw me looking for an attorney in the yellow pages. He then called the owner of the company and told him he thought I was about to file an age discrimination lawsuit. I then felt compelled out of fear for my job to produce a highly personal document showing exactly why I was looking for an attorney. The day after this I also received a very vague Warning Notice that was put in my file. I'm still unclear as to what the warning actually means. I asked for clarification from my supervisor and he said he didn't know. He just did what they told him to do. Is this a violation of my privacy.

Is there anything I can do to remedy either of the above. I am really fruststrated now and am looking for a new job.

Isis1

Quincy I'm in Iowa.
I'm not going to speak to the defamation portion, but I will say your privacy was not violated.

You voluntarily showed your legal paperwork. You were on company property. Were you using company property to look up an attorney? Were you on company time?

quincy

sleepyhead, I am leaning toward both the opinions expressed by Isis and Zigner, based on what you have posted here, but I am a little curious still.

Do you know what the claimed "workplace abuse" was supposed to consist of?

You also mentioned that you are receiving "different treatment" since the workplace abuse claim was made. What sort of different treatment have you noticed?

Again, I am not currently seeing that you have any legal action to pursue against either your former coworker or your current employer, although facts can always be reviewed by an attorney in your area (perhaps the one you are already contacting can advise you?).

Iowa has a 2 year statute of limitations for defamation.

davidmcbeth3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Is this a violation of my privacy.

Is there anything I can do to remedy either of the above. I am really fruststrated now and am looking for a new job.
No, you gave him the information. You have free will & could have said its none of your business why I am seeking legal consul ... but you showed him w/o a literal gun to your head. You could have said for a will or something normal but you did not. NOT a violation of your privacy.

2nd question: NO nothing you can do about it ...

Good luck in your job search.

quincy

Actually, more information is really needed before there can be definitive answers to sleepyhead's questions.

Although both invasion of privacy and defamation seem unlikely based on what is posted, it could be an invasion of sleepyhead's privacy, for example, if sleepyhead disclosed to her supervisor personal information in confidence and he related this information to others who did not have a legitimate reason or need to know. And it could be defamation if reputational injury (a shunning, contempt, job consequences) can be demonstrated in the workplace based on the coworker's false statements.

It really depends on facts we do not have.

Again, it does not appear likely that sleepyhead has any supportable legal action, but there is not quite enough posted here to give a definitive answer. It does appear that looking for a new job, however, might be wise.

sleepyhead145

Thanks for all of your advice so far. I'm going to take some time over the weekend to try and explain it all to you. I do want you to know I'm not motivated by a desire for money. I'm not looking for reasons to sue my employer. I very much don't want anything like that at all. I just feel so intimated by my employer at the moment. I don't even trust them. I need to find a way to reduce some of the stress I'm going through so I can concentrate on my new job search.

quincy

Civil actions like defamation and invasion of privacy are about monetary awards, to compensate for injuries suffered, so a lawsuit would probably not be something you want to consider.

Your best option is to look for another job that is less stressful.

It is impossible to control what other people think of you, whether what they think is based in part on falsehoods told about you or not. The only thing you can really do is learn to control how you react to difficult people. This is, of course, always easier to say than to do. ;)

I suggest that you totally forget about your workplace woes this weekend and instead concentrate on doing something you enjoy.

Good luck.

Edit to add: Just saw DC's post. Jogging is good. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">