• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

would this be slander/def. of character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momm2500

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

i would like to send copies of mom's will out to all family members and include a note to all showing what has transpired. i know the will is public knowledge since i got it at the court house. i want to include a little note showing that the will was forged (daughter in law forged moms signature) and indicate what has transpired in the courts.

can sister in law come back to me and sue me for slander or defemation of character? since this is all playing out in the courts; isnt this all public knowledge? and all i want to do is inform all family members how sneaky brother and sister in law are?

seniorjudge

Q: can sister in law come back to me and sue me for slander or defemation of character? since this is all playing out in the courts; isnt this all public knowledge? and all i want to do is inform all family members how sneaky brother and sister in law are?

A: Anyone can sue anybody for anything at any time anywhere.

quincy

Momm, the will itself is public and anything said or revealed in court can certainly be repeated without fear as long as it is a fair and accurate report of what transpired, but your note could be considered libelous if you cannot prove for a fact that the daughter-in-law forged your mom's signature.

I would not put anything in writing, certainly, as that can be more damaging than merely informing your family members privately (although, even that can result in a slander suit, should your sister-in-law decide it is worth suing over).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">