• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writer writing book about me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tuuky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I was recently contacted by yet another writer wanting to interview me for her book. I was involved in a tragic accident a few years ago and she's not the first writer who's asked for an interview (I have granted a few before), but she's writing for a big publishing company.

I feel I should be able to ask for some compensation for my personal story if the intent is to sell books from it, but I'm not sure if I can.

Would anyone be able to advise?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I was recently contacted by yet another writer wanting to interview me for her book. I was involved in a tragic accident a few years ago and she's not the first writer who's asked for an interview (I have granted a few before), but she's writing for a big publishing company.

I feel I should be able to ask for some compensation for my personal story if the intent is to sell books from it, but I'm not sure if I can.

Would anyone be able to advise?
So ask her for compensation. Nice to know that you are enough recovered from your accident.:)

tuuky

It sure is nice to still be around, thanks!

I guess I just didn't know if that's something people do or are entitled to legally, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

justalayman

It sure is nice to still be around, thanks!

I guess I just didn't know if that's something people do or are entitled to legally, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, right?
do you think all those Hollywood folks let the writers of whatever publication that happens to be printing a story about them don't get paid for their interviews? You best believe they are making money from their stories. No reason you shouldn't.

quincy

It doesn't hurt to ask.

BUT, before you ask, you may want to decide whether your story is one you want another to tell, or whether you want to have more control over how your story is told. Many who are involved in newsworthy events or stories of public interest will "collaborate" with a writer to create a book, and then share in the profits.

There is an advantage to you, of course, in becoming coauthor of the book. You can help direct the tone of the book and you can make money off your story. But it can also be of benefit to the writer who has approached you, and it can be of benefit to the publishing company.

You, as subject of the book and also coauthor/collaborator, can help promote the book, and often to a wider audience than the writer alone could. The more publicity a book receives, the greater the number of readers/buyers who will hear of the book, which in turn will generate greater sales and more money for all involved.

If this is something you are interested in considering, however, you would want to consult with a business/publishing/IP attorney, so that all terms of any coauthorship or collaboration are adequately spelled out in a contract.

On the other hand, if you are content to just tell your tale to a writer and have the writer write the book they envision, and you have no desire to become any more involved in the book than that, but you still would like some compensation, this compensation should be discussed prior to any interviews you grant to the writer.

Some writers will not want to compensate a person for their story, depending on the story and the particular "slant" a writer wishes to take and depending on whether it is a "journalistic account" of the story, as it might be seen as compromising the integrity of the work. And, of course, the writer does not need your permission to write about you, if your accident was one that made the news.

But, you also don't need to provide access or grant any interviews or provide any insights into your accident either. This makes the idea of compensation a bargaining tool for you to use with the writer.

Should any agreement be reached between you and the writer/publisher to compensate you for, say, the time you spend relating your story, you should have the agreement in writing and reviewed by an attorney prior to signing.

Good luck.

do you think all those Hollywood folks let the writers of whatever publication that happens to be printing a story about them don't get paid for their interviews? You best believe they are making money from their stories. No reason you shouldn't.
Not necessarily...they're celebrities. People can write whatever they want about them.

quincy

Not necessarily, Rhubarb ;).

Just because a person is a celebrity does not mean that you can write whatever you want to about him/her. There are still laws to consider (defamation laws, privacy laws, publicity rights laws).

A celebrity may or may not get paid for an interview. It depends on the reason for the interview and on the publication doing the interviewing.

But it is true that celebrities are not paid for the majority of the stories that are written about them. They will generally not be paid for the stories that appear about them in the tabloids or in the news, for example, or for the "unauthorized" biographies you can find about them on bookstore shelves.

Last edited:

quincy

I was thinking of hiding the message amongst a field of smilie faces, or perhaps somewhere within the text OP listen to quincy of my posted advice. . . . . . . . but ice cubes could work. ;)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">