• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

You'll like this story!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wareagle47

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I'll be as short as possible. Had an affair with a woman at work. I was her supervisor. Short-term Oct 07 - Feb 08. There were 2 other single occurrences about a year apart after this time. The last occurrence was in Jul 09. Nothing at all after this time. We agreed to keep it to ourselves because we didn't want to upset our marriages (we both were married).

2010 - things were fine. Her performance went downhill dramatically. Started talking to her about it and on Apr 19, 2010, she dropped an EEO complaint on me. Included the normal stuff (discr, harrassment, etc) but she alleged I raped her on 2 occasions!

Well, informal EEO investigator determined consensual affair. She didn't like this so she continued with formal EEO. Did interviews back in Dec 2010. Have heard nothing but her charges grew from 5 allegations to 19 (# of rapes grew to 6)! Needless to say she has been labled a liar by all investigators.

Since she didn't like what the informal EEO report said, she filed rape charges against me with the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (OSI) (I work on a federal institution). Number of rapes this time was 3. OSI conducted 7-month investigation which ended in Oct 2010 and forwarded to US District Attorney. Finding again was consensual relationship substantiated by records and documentation. No indictment is forthcoming so I'm clear.

She also alleged that I abused my computer access (I work in a classified area). Although these allegations were false, the IG conducted investigations in Oct 2010 and I have heard nothing.

She accused me of having affairs with 2 other co-workers. This is false.
She told countless co-workers that I raped her. She has furnished several documents stating I am suicidal, homicidal and dangerous. Not to mention the formal false federal charge of rape.

On Oct 3, 2010, she had me arrested for harassing communications (telephone) for alleged calls I placed to her home on Apr 20, 2010 (yes, 6 months earlier). She showed up to court with phone records of randomly highlighted numbers with my name written beside them. I had not placed ANY of these calls. I later had an investigator confirm that one of the numbers she highlighted as me calling was HER HUSBAND'S cell number! Well, good 'ol Alabama hick town judge didn't even let me speak at trial and rendered me guilty 2 weeks after trial. Needless to say, I fired my lawyer and have filed an appeal to the circuit court (still waiting).

On Apr 19, it will have been a year with all of this mess. I admitted to the affair in the very first investigation interviews and my story has not changed in any detail for the last year because I've told the truth. I took responsibility for my actions.

However, she continues to tell folks I raped her. My marriage, reputation and career are destroyed. Looking for a good lawyer in Alabama to sue her for slander and defamation. She’s got money and I’m willing to give up a significant percentage of anything awarded on a contingent basis.

She continues with the lies and her husband refuses to believe anyone else but her no matter how many professional investigators draw the same conclusion. I figure he deserves what he’s got!

Anyone have any advice? Please be gentle to someone who made a significant and utterly stupid decsion at one time in his life.....

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I'll be as short as possible. Had an affair with a woman at work. I was her supervisor. Short-term Oct 07 - Feb 08. There were 2 other single occurrences about a year apart after this time. The last occurrence was in Jul 09. Nothing at all after this time. We agreed to keep it to ourselves because we didn't want to upset our marriages (we both were married).

2010 - things were fine. Her performance went downhill dramatically. Started talking to her about it and on Apr 19, 2010, she dropped an EEO complaint on me. Included the normal stuff (discr, harrassment, etc) but she alleged I raped her on 2 occasions!

Well, informal EEO investigator determined consensual affair. She didn't like this so she continued with formal EEO. Did interviews back in Dec 2010. Have heard nothing but her charges grew from 5 allegations to 19 (# of rapes grew to 6)! Needless to say she has been labled a liar by all investigators.

Since she didn't like what the informal EEO report said, she filed rape charges against me with the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (OSI) (I work on a federal institution). Number of rapes this time was 3. OSI conducted 7-month investigation which ended in Oct 2010 and forwarded to US District Attorney. Finding again was consensual relationship substantiated by records and documentation. No indictment is forthcoming so I'm clear.

She also alleged that I abused my computer access (I work in a classified area). Although these allegations were false, the IG conducted investigations in Oct 2010 and I have heard nothing.

She accused me of having affairs with 2 other co-workers. This is false.
She told countless co-workers that I raped her. She has furnished several documents stating I am suicidal, homicidal and dangerous. Not to mention the formal false federal charge of rape.

On Oct 3, 2010, she had me arrested for harassing communications (telephone) for alleged calls I placed to her home on Apr 20, 2010 (yes, 6 months earlier). She showed up to court with phone records of randomly highlighted numbers with my name written beside them. I had not placed ANY of these calls. I later had an investigator confirm that one of the numbers she highlighted as me calling was HER HUSBAND'S cell number! Well, good 'ol Alabama hick town judge didn't even let me speak at trial and rendered me guilty 2 weeks after trial. Needless to say, I fired my lawyer and have filed an appeal to the circuit court (still waiting).

On Apr 19, it will have been a year with all of this mess. I admitted to the affair in the very first investigation interviews and my story has not changed in any detail for the last year because I've told the truth. I took responsibility for my actions.

However, she continues to tell folks I raped her. My marriage, reputation and career are destroyed. Looking for a good lawyer in Alabama to sue her for slander and defamation. She’s got money and I’m willing to give up a significant percentage of anything awarded on a contingent basis.

She continues with the lies and her husband refuses to believe anyone else but her no matter how many professional investigators draw the same conclusion. I figure he deserves what he’s got!

Anyone have any advice? Please be gentle to someone who made a significant and utterly stupid decsion at one time in his life.....
We've heard this story, and no we didn't care for it too much then either

https://forum.freeadvice.com/hiring-firing-wrongful-termination-5/been-wild-ride-need-help-547089.html

Antigone*

Yes in another forum that did not address asking advice in subject of slander and defamation.
We are not an attorney referral service. If you are looking for representation, you can click the blue link below to find one.

Please keep this atop of mind. You won't find an attorney to take your case without have a ton of up-front money.

I love this place...really...Someone created these forums for people to come and discuss legal issues with other people...Yet every time someone posts a legal issues, all the other users do is berate them. It's great fun.

Just Blue

I love this place...really...Someone created these forums for people to come and discuss legal issues with other people...Yet every time someone posts a legal issues, all the other users do is berate them. It's great fun.
EVERYtime? Oh Really?:rolleyes:

Proserpina

You may want to start reading again. :cool:

Tex78704

...Looking for a good lawyer in Alabama to sue her for slander and defamation. She’s got money and I’m willing to give up a significant percentage of anything awarded on a contingent basis...
On the face of this, it appears she likely crossed the line into defamation, and you may have a cause of action against her.

That said, given your case is pretty mucked up, and your own character (or rather lack of) will come under attack , it is highly unlikely you will find an attorney willing to take your case on contingency without also expecting you to pay a considerable amount to prepare and file your case. You can expect to pay a five to ten thousand dollar retainer up front, and to be billed for ongoing costs and legal fees to litigate the case. It's a given any attorney will expect a 30% cut, and who will almost surely refuse to agree to free legal services in exchange for a higher percentage.

If she does have money as you suggest, and if she is as angry as she apparently is with you, she will probably respond strongly to your lawsuit. She already had one judge take her side, and she may possibly evoke a jury's sympathy and make you out to be the bad guy. Or at least one who doesn't deserve to be awarded anything but token damages.

Your lawsuit could easily become long and drawn out and exceed your ability to afford it in the long term. And you could easily lose. And the cost and stress of that lawsuit would probably destroy whatever is left of your own marriage.

...She continues with the lies and her husband refuses to believe anyone else but her no matter how many professional investigators draw the same conclusion.
I figure he deserves what he’s got!...
As do you.

The Occultist

My marriage, reputation and career are destroyed.
Your marriage is destroyed because you cheated on your wife, so you got nothing there.

What damages have occurred as a result of your "reputation" being damaged? You can show, through all those investigations, that the only thing you did wrong was cheat on your wife while fraternizing with a subordinate. If those things ruined your reputation, it's your own fault.

Your career is destroyed? I must have missed that in your post because nowhere does it state that you lost your job (unless I really am blind). Being under investigation does not mean that your career is destroyed, and this becomes completely true once the investigation reveals that you did nothing wrong.

Sorry, but you just ain't gonna find a lawyer willing to take this on contingency.

wareagle47

Tex78704, The Occultist and pro_perdef,

Thank you so much for your advice and comments! As a newbie, I initially got the impression this forum was a huge waste of time based on others' replies to my plight. Your replies have started to change my impression.

A new development, this past Thurs night she was interviewed by a local CBS affiliate during a "Take back the night" rally for sexually assaulted victims. It was aired on TV and posted on their website.

She needs a psych eval. For example, the investigators asked her "if he raped and sexually assaulted you, why did you call him so much? In fact, you called him 3 times on one of the nights after you say he raped you that night".

Her reply "I never made those calls. I'm being set-up by the US government. This case is much bigger than me. I work with some technical experts and they could have hacked into the phone database and reprogrammed it to make it look like I called him or he got hold of my phone and called himself to make it look like I called him."

These are her words exactly from the official investigation report.

On a side note, the victims unit from the local Air Force base sponsored the rally. She has been using their services for the last year. I'm upset that the unit allowed her to be interviewed as a victim when every piece of evidence and every investigation determines we had a consensual affair. They should have never used her as a source to promote their cause. It degrades true victims of assault.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">