• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Youtube - thief video

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

memon421

Hi,

Is it ok to post a video on Youtube of thief stealing something? I have one video, thief tried to steal bike but police caught him. In video, thief is trying to steal bike. The face is not blurred and face is not clear too. But, one can recognize person who knows him already.

Is it illegal to post such video on Youtube. I am in Europe and I am international student here.
Thanks

quincy

Ok, how it is handled in US? Is it ok in US to make and upload video of a thief who was arrested by Police? Or, do u think it is a kind of defamation?

Thanks
Defamation is the publication to a third party of false material, with negligence or with actual malice, that causes a loss or reputational injury to an identified or identifiable person or entity.

A video of a thief, whether it is from a surveillance video or taken by an individual, would not be defamatory if it were published (in the U.S. or in the European countries I am familiar with) as long as there is no commentary included that labels the person a thief (whether an arrest by the police is shown or not).

Any video should speak for itself.

Whether other laws are violated in your country with the publication of such a video is a question mark - one, because you did not mention from what country you are posting and, two, even if your country were known, it is a good bet no one here knows its laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">