• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

beneficiary change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BetsyP

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Virginia. My dad lived in North Caolina and died March 23rd. He had a life insurance policy with my cousin as the beneficiary. She wants to turn it over to me since I am his daughter and have his funeral bills. Are we going to be able to do this easily?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BetsyP said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Virginia. My dad lived in North Caolina and died March 23rd. He had a life insurance policy with my cousin as the beneficiary. She wants to turn it over to me since I am his daughter and have his funeral bills. Are we going to be able to do this easily?

My response:

You're joking, right?

Your Dad is dead. How can he, the owner the policy, change the beneficiary now?

The only way this is going to happen is the insurance company sends cousin the check, and cousin cashes check. But, instead of giving you the cash, her eyes start to glare over, and as she looks at all that money, she begins to look like a deer staring at headlights! Then, it's off to Columbia to make her connection to bring in three kilos of cocaine. Then she cuts that with 50% baking soda, and doubles her take when she sells the Coke for $300,000.00. Cousin is never seen again, and you get to pay the burial bill.

IAAL

BetsyP

hmm

I didnt mean for my dad to change the beneficiary, hes my dad..I know he is dead.. I meant if my cousin told the insurance company she wants me to take care of it would they let her..

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BetsyP said:
I didnt mean for my dad to change the beneficiary, hes my dad..I know he is dead.. I meant if my cousin told the insurance company she wants me to take care of it would they let her..

My response:

No. The insurance company MUST pay the beneficiary. What the beneficiary does with the money is no concern of the insurance company.

But, good luck actually getting the money from your cousin. Once she's holding that kind of money - - something rarely experienced by the average Virginia trailer dweller - - it'll be Sayonara Virginia, Hello West Virginia!

IAAL

Dandy Don

Thank goodness that you have a cousin who is sympathetic to your needs. Cousin doesn't need to have any contact with the insurance company--insurance company can not make the check payable to anyone else besides the beneficiary. Just wait for cousin to get the money, then she can cash it in and give the money to you. Tell cousin it's okay for the check to be issued in her name--she is only making things harder trying to do it otherwise.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dandy Don said:
Thank goodness that you have a cousin who is sympathetic to your needs. Cousin doesn't need to have any contact with the insurance company--insurance company can not make the check payable to anyone else besides the beneficiary. Just wait for cousin to get the money, then she can cash it in and give the money to you. Tell cousin it's okay for the check to be issued in her name--she is only making things harder trying to do it otherwise.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

My response:

Well, Dandy-DOOFUS strikes again, repeating everything I've already said.

IAAL

Dandy Don

With just a little more perspective given with compassion and a clearer understanding, without the mean and baseless accusation that cousin will use it to deal in cocaine. Geesh!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dandy Don said:
With just a little more perspective given with compassion and a clearer understanding,

MY RESPONSE: How much "clearer" did you, or could I, have made it? I already said - - "No. The insurance company MUST pay the beneficiary. What the beneficiary does with the money is no concern of the insurance company."

without the mean and baseless accusation that cousin will use it to deal in cocaine. Geesh!!

MY RESPONSE: But that was the fun part! How much do you want to bet that our writer never sees a penny, and that the money will undoubtedly be spent on booze, drugs, and buying new tires for the trailer? That's what they do in Hillbilly States like good ol' Virginy.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">