• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary refuses to pay for funeral expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Toddyt

:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wv

Can anything be done when a beneficiary refuses to use life insurance money to pay for a persons funeral expenses, because said beneficiary paid the insurance premiums? So far the only thing I have done was offer to pay, which makes no senses to me.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wv

Can anything be done when a beneficiary refuses to use life insurance money to pay for a persons funeral expenses, because said beneficiary paid the insurance premiums? So far the only thing I have done was offer to pay, which makes no senses to me.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why do you think the beneficiary is required to pay the funeral expenses out of his/her money?

justalayman

the decedents estate is liable for the costs of the funeral. If there are no assets, then whomever volunteers to pay for the funeral pays for it. If there are no assets and nobody willing to pay, most states have either a pauper service or will dispose of the remains in some way.

applecruncher

A lot of life ins policyholders don't realize that a funeral home can be designated as beneficiary (or they can direct that XYZ Funeral Home receive a %).

Betty

I worked for a life ins. co. (mainly underwriting applications) & we had a few
(but very few) apps. where it was designated that part of the proceeds
was to pay for funeral expenses (they had to give an actual amount or % to
go to the funeral home). Of course, the whole amount (if it was reasonable)
could be paid to the funeral home.

As you said, applecruncher, a lot of people don't know you can do this &
some just don't do it.

applecruncher

Betty, I really didn't think about it until a few years ago when I saw how it can actually simplify things when a loved one dies. The funeral home gets verification that the policy is in force, then the appropriate document is faxed/emailed or whatever and it's done - so arrangements can be made. This prevents people looking at each other wondering who is going to pay for the funeral, and of course it's separate from the will/estate. As we know, a funeral is a major expense - the funeral home is a business and they want assurance of payment.

Probably a good idea to go talk to funeral home in advance and make sure an adequate % is allocated and also specify any details (casket, flowers, etc). The remainder can go to another beneficiary or be divided up among several beneficiaries. Just something for people to think about.

However, regarding OP's issue - the beneficiary isn't obligated to pay (or chip in) for the funeral expenses. Of course, it's a nice thing to do, but they often just collect the money and do what they want with it. I've seen it happen - they file their claim and are never heard from again.

Last edited:

Betty

Yep, in this case, the bene (OP) can do with the proceeds as they wish.

You are smart to do what you have done. I commend you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">