• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Both of my parents passed away. How can i find out owed money if there is any?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tre Thompson

Florida.
Well my father passed away in 98 from ALS and im positive he had a life insurance policy.. my mother died in 2000 from serois(spelling) of the brain and im not sure if she had one or not but its possible.
I dont have any paper work but i belive they used Globe Life Insurance.
Im trying to find a lawyer that will do the checks and i wouldnt have to pay any fees unless money is found.
How should i go about doing this?
Btw im 20 if that means any thing.

Tre Thompson

Florida

Thank you..ill try calling them now.
Any one else with advice?
And it is possible they had the life insurance policy and i never collected it?
How would that work.. im brand new to this.. like they pay a monthly payment on a sum of money if something happens to them and there children can collect it if the other parent is passed away?

Tre Thompson

So.. any more tips? how can i contact a lawyer about it.. i tried calling and it was pointless.. just answering system..
Any one know a lawyer i could e-mail?

Happy Trails

Tre Thompson said:
So.. any more tips? how can i contact a lawyer about it.. i tried calling and it was pointless.. just answering system..
Any one know a lawyer i could e-mail?
Do you know if there was a safety deposit box or somewhere safe they may have kept their policies?

How about canceled checks or automatic withdrawals that may have been used to pay premiums?

Dandy Don

A lawyer won't be able to do anything you couldn't do for yourself. Go to the website again and click on the REQUEST FOR INFORMATION link and send them an inquiry by e-mail, but it would be even better if you sent them a letter about this by certified mail.

Tre Thompson

i dont think there are any boxes.. checks.. hmm.. i would have to look thru this huge box of paper.. i e-mailed globe a month ago.. no reply.. there number wasnt helpful either..

But thanks for all the tips.. ill keep trying.. and reading this.. i totaly forgot about this site..

rmet4nzkx

You were a minor when both parents died, who was your guardian? Have you asked them?
You may have to look through that box of papers.
Have you checked check books? Bank records?
Also check the unclaimed property site for your state.

Veronica1228

Tre Thompson said:
i dont think there are any boxes.. checks.. hmm.. i would have to look thru this huge box of paper.. i e-mailed globe a month ago.. no reply.. there number wasnt helpful either..

But thanks for all the tips.. ill keep trying.. and reading this.. i totaly forgot about this site..
Other options might be to ask an aunt or uncle, other relatives, or close family friends that may have been your mother's confidante. I know my mother doesn't make a move without consulting her sisters first.

Just a thought.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">