• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can ex-husband carry life insurance on ex-wife?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nextwife

And if they have children together, he'd be an idiot NOT to have such insurance, to help provide care costs and support in the absense of one parent.

Mitch Smith

can an ex husband take out insurance on......

Texas
I would want my children taken care of.........that's why "I" carry insurance on myself for them. I think it's unfortunate that a man who is already hostile toward their ex should be able to carry a large policy on her. Especially when he has a 6 fiqure income and she is barely getting by.
Would your advice be for the ex-wife to take out a policy insuring the ex-husband? Can that be done after a divorce?

somarco

Several things have to happen before a life policy is issued. Obviously the person must be insurable, and they must have the funds to pay the premium.

And the beneficiary must have an insurable interest in the named insured.

In this case, the wife appears to have an insurable interest, at least to the extent of future child support and alimony. Unless the award is significant, a large face amount would not be justified.

As for the ex-h continuing coverage on an ex-w, the insurable interest was determined when the policy was issued. What happens after the fact to dilute or deny an insurable interest is beyond the scope of the policy.

For what its worth, some divorce decrees require one spouse or the other to have in place life and sometimes disability coverage to ensure future payments. Probably too late here but just something to consider if your award is ever re-opened for negotiation.

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
Of course he can. Hell, even I can carry life insurance on you.
And what is your insurable interest in writer?

nextwife

Well, I carry policies on my husband, and if I ever divorced, I would want to continue to own and pay for those policies (as I do now) so that I would be assured to:

remain the beneficiary

and

to assure that payment default does not occur.

I would NOT want to leave it up to my ex to make sure the coverage remains in force and that I (or our daughter, if I preceed him in death) would be the one entitled to the benefits.

BelizeBreeze

seniorjudge said:
And what is your insurable interest in writer?
I read that too and thought it was a load of crap. So, I called my broker who handles all of my insurance and finances his summer home with the payments.

And he said the same thing. I told him I was going to take out insurance on you and the only thing he said was "Make sure the old fart doesn't croak before the ink is dry". :D

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
I read that too and thought it was a load of crap. So, I called my broker who handles all of my insurance and finances his summer home with the payments.

And he said the same thing. I told him I was going to take out insurance on you and the only thing he said was "Make sure the old fart doesn't croak before the ink is dry". :D
I'm really not feeling well...is the ink dry yet? Is it okay if I croak?

So, I called my broker who handles all of my insurance and finances his summer home with the payments.

No kidding...I feel the same way about my insurance guy....

BelizeBreeze

seniorjudge said:
I'm really not feeling well...is the ink dry yet? Is it okay if I croak?

So, I called my broker who handles all of my insurance and finances his summer home with the payments.

No kidding...I feel the same way about my insurance guy....
Well, you should see the child support payment. I think I NEED life insurance on ME! :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">