• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I decline coverage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Moira

What is the name of your state?Tennesee, Indiana, Wisconsin

I work in Tennessee for a company based in Indiana whose life insurance is underwritten by a company in Wisconsin. I have been told that I cannot decline the minimum free life insurance coverage because the company has to pay for it anyway. Is this the case? It seems odd that I can't decline coverage.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are talking about employer-sponsored insurance that is 100% paid for by the employer, then they can require you to take it. The contract almost certainly requires that 100% of the employees participates.

If you would be paying for part of the coverage, THEN you can decline it.

If I've misunderstood the situation, please clarify.

Query; why would you want to decline free coverage?

M

Moira

Reasons

The minimum coverage is paid by the employer and additional coverage is paid by the employees. I want to decline coverage because it would be redundant. (I have other coverage.) Also, because accepting coverage requires a release of medical records and I do not want to release my records to another insurer when I do not need the second coverage. If I neither want nor need coverage, it seems odd that I would be required to enroll. Is there anyway not to do so?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I want to make sure I understand you properly so that I don't steer you wrong. Tell me which of these scenarios is correct. The numbers are only intended as examples.

1. The company provides $5000 of life insurance to all employees at no cost. Employees have the option of picking up x amount of additional insurance at their own expense.

2. The company provides life insurance to all employees, for which they provide 80% of the premium and the employee pays 20%.

M

Moira

How it works

The first scenario is correct. The company in this case provides $15,000 at no cost to the employee or $50,000 for a monthly premium. (I don't know the amount of the premium.)

M

Moira

Drat

That stinks. Thanks for the help though. I appreciate it.

M

Moira

Release of records.

Could I just get myself denied by refusing to release my records?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">