• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changing doctors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cire318

What is the name of your state? ky
I used to have a family doctor but he moved away and I neglected to look for another. About a month ago I was in a car accident, had back pain , didn't think it was serious. I went to minor emergency just to be checked out. I was given several medications, I was not getting better, I was referred to another doctor (pain management clinic), he prescribed more of the same medications (smaller doses because original doses were making me more sick); after two weeks of no improvement he gave me several injections in my back, still not getting better. I am also going to a chiropractor. Last Friday I was in so much pain (back and chest) that I called the doctor that gave me injections asking if what I was experiencing were side effects. They said no, and told me to go to ER. At the ER they took some tests and said that the chest pains were caused by prolonged use of the medications. They also scheduled me for MRI and said they would send the results to the first doctor that saw me since I don't have a family physician. I haven't had the MRI done yet, but I don't want to go to the doctor in the minor emergency (he didn't seem very concerned about me). My question is: can I get a new family doctor before I have the MRI done and have the results sent there instead?

H

hmmbrdzz

Hi Cire 318. Sure, you can get another doctor. You need a primary care physician anyhow (family physician). Did your other doctor (the one that moved) refer all of his patients to someone when he moved? Did another doctor take over his practice? If so, you may call the office he left and tell them you were a patient of his and need a primary care doctor now. If you don't know who took over his practice or who he referred his patients to, start calling around to some primary care doctors' offices and tell them what's up and see if they will take you on as a new patient.

If you missed your scheduled MRI, then you will need to either reschedule it again yourself (and tell them you are looking for a primary care physician) or -- find a new primary soon and tell him about the MRI that was recommended (that you missed). He can refer you again. The physician who referred you for the MRI will get a copy of the results regardless if you go back to see him or not.

Whoever you wind up seeing as your primary, advise him / her where you have been seen, what tests have been done, let him know about the wreck, the ER clinic, the pain management clinic, the referral for the MRI, the medicines you were on, and the chiropractor. (just all your medicial history). The new primary will (or should) request records from the places you've been seen. Just to make sure your primary has all your pertinent records, request the primary's receptionist get copies of your records in the various places they are located.

Good luck.

hmmbrdzz

C

cire318

thanks for advice, I will try to find another doctor tomorrow. No I haven't misssed the MRI (the ER doctor scheduled it for next week). My main concern was how will the auto insurance interpret my switching doctors. The accident was not my fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">