• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing policy owner on life insurance policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caresident07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

Hello. I'm asking on behalf of my close friend. She lost her husband last month to cancer.

They both have life insurance policy and are beneficiary on each others' policy with the same company. Her late husband is the policy owner on her policy. Since he passed, she is trying to change the owner to herself and change the beneficiary. She received a letter from the company, and she couldn't understand what she needs to do. I will post the letter below. There are 4 items, and she couldn't understand #2.

"The policy provision for this policy indicate that since there was no contingent owner named, ownership transfers to the estate of (her husband's name) upon death.

The following are requirements to change ownership from the estate to an individual:
2. Letters of Testamentary or Letters of Appointment naming the Executor of the Estate of (husband's name) - what happens if there isn't one?

If the estate was probated, or has been closed we will need documentation of the estate closure or we would need an affidavit of heirship showing the surviving heirs at the time of death. This can be obtained at the clerk of courts in the county in which (husband's name) resided."

She doesn't know where to begin on this.

Also, this is another question she's concern about. Her car is under her late husband's name. She plan to pay off the car soon. After she paid it off and get the title, how can she change her husband's name on the title to her name?

Thank you for all your help.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

Hello. I'm asking on behalf of my close friend. She lost her husband last month to cancer.

They both have life insurance policy and are beneficiary on each others' policy with the same company. Her late husband is the policy owner on her policy. Since he passed, she is trying to change the owner to herself and change the beneficiary. She received a letter from the company, and she couldn't understand what she needs to do. I will post the letter below. There are 4 items, and she couldn't understand #2.

"The policy provision for this policy indicate that since there was no contingent owner named, ownership transfers to the estate of (her husband's name) upon death.

The following are requirements to change ownership from the estate to an individual:
2. Letters of Testamentary or Letters of Appointment naming the Executor of the Estate of (husband's name) - what happens if there isn't one?

If the estate was probated, or has been closed we will need documentation of the estate closure or we would need an affidavit of heirship showing the surviving heirs at the time of death. This can be obtained at the clerk of courts in the county in which (husband's name) resided."

She doesn't know where to begin on this.

Also, this is another question she's concern about. Her car is under her late husband's name. She plan to pay off the car soon. After she paid it off and get the title, how can she change her husband's name on the title to her name?

Thank you for all your help.
Please have your friend join this site and ask her own question...under her own user name.

caresident07

I've talked to her and asked her to register, but she said there is too much going on and she has a lot to take care of so she's going to hire an attorney to help take care of this for her. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">