• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contest Life Insurance Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfwhite

What is the name of your state? I live in Massachusetts. My father died in 1990. I recently received a letter from a life insurance company that was attempting to locate my father about 3 policy's that have matured in his name. The company was unaware of my father's death and my mother and I were unaware these policy's existed. These policies were taken out before I was born. Sadly my mother is not listed as beneficiary and my father didn't have a will. The beneficiary's of the 3 policies are 2 of my father's sisters (still living) and his mother whom died in 1994. My father became mentally ill in 1983 and was in a state mental hospital a majority of the time until his death. Knowing that my fathers condition would not change, my mother divorced my father in 1988 to "move on" with her life. When the divorce was final between my parents I was appointed guardian of my father. Is there anything I or my mother can do to contest these policies?

Last edited:

FirstChance

No there isn't

The best you can hope for, unless you want to get nasty and make some lawyers a bunch of money, is try to get the one policy without a benificiary. Being the next of kin you are intitled to the death benifit from that policy. as for the other two, your best bet would be to contact they two sisters and see if you can appeal to there softers sides. You know the old, "my dad didn't leave me anything, it would be nice......"

Dandy Don

Try to get some more information from the insurance company before you decide what to do about this. Ask them what date did he sign the policy (so you can determine for yourself, confidentially, whether he signed it while he was mentally ill or before then, but don't tell the insurance company that), and also ask them what their company requirements are about paying the money due to his deceased mother--will they still pay her estate or does that money go somewhere else? If it is payable to his mother's estate then you will need to contact the executor of her estate to inform him about this money and he may be willing to give some of it to you if you ask nicely.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">