• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting Beneficiary - Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iseolt

What is the name of your state? CT.
Hi,
I have learned some new information. My neice (deceased's only child) and I contacted his former employer asking why his last paycheck has not been sent. During the conversation the woman in HR told us the beneficiary of the life insurance policy showed up the previous day to claim it. She has been out of his life for over a year (and in jail) - and my brother had a restraining order out on her - and he had called the HR department to change the beneficiary to his daugher - only never got a chance to sign it. She went it to claim it, exactly one month to the day of his death. (probate has not been filed yet). He HR woman who handled it (and developed an immediate intense dislike for the 'beneficiary') explained to us that she just sent the paperwork to the insurance company. Since the policy was from his employer she said they were 'self insured'. Different type of policy than if i went out and got a life insurance policy. However, very nicely she notated on the form that it would be 'contested by family members'. But we don't know how to do it. She gave us the name of the insurance company - but what do we do? Do we need an attorney? Do we just call up and say 'we want to contest it'??? I know we need to call as soon as possible. What do we say? Do we file papers? I know she (might be) able to tell us more, but other people's input and experience would be greatly appreciated.

We would at least like to get the funeral/burial expenses paid.

Anyone been through this before?
thanks for reading this,
iseolt

pojo2

iseolt said:
and he had called the HR department to change the beneficiary to his daugher - only never got a chance to sign it.
Is there someone in HR that will testify to this and even then I don't see where you could win. USUALLY the beneficiary directly gets the proceeds without probate or any other court intervention.

Dandy Don

Have you checked at the county courthouse to find out if the man left a last will and testament? If there are other assets in his estate, you can file a claim with the estate to get the burial expenses paid.

You really should be talking with a business law attorney who has experience in fighting insurance companies to intervene on your behalf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">