• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting life insurance beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

morgainelefey7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My husband recently commited suicide. He had 2 life insurance policies that both named his elderly mother as the beneficiary. We had only been married 5 months when he passed. He hadn't changed me to his beneficary yet. Now, being that he is gone, his mother had moved out of our apartment and gone to a low income elderly community. If she receives his life insurance money, she will lose her home. And if she "gifts" it to me, I'll have to pay considerable taxes on it. Is there a way to contest the beneficiary of his insurance?

ErinGoBragh

Not contest, persay.. you can't contest it, but Mom *May* be able to relinquish her claim to it in writing as long as it's within a year of your husbands death, but she needs to call the insurance company and check if they will allow that.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">