• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad passed, had life, records lost, now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phill407

What is the name of your state? Florida

My dad lived in Gulf Port, Mississippi Naval retirement home until hurricane Katrina destroyed his home. He also had dementia which really got bad after the hurricane.
He ended up in a nursing home in FL near me and recently passed.

I know he had a life insurance policy, so I'm in the middle of tracking who the company down, etc.

My question is. I'm afraid during the whole hurricane crisis along with his dementia that his policy premiums stopped being paid. We (his children) got a power of attorney and was able to get his naval retirement check to help fund his nursing home when he was living, but had no record of his life insurance policy.

What do we do now? Is there any hope? Or is all lost?

Phill :eek:

ErinGoBragh

They policy MAY have had enough dividends to become self-paying, so it may not have lapsed. Or perhaps he did keep paying the premiums.

Have you gone through canceled checks? All statements? Asked your late father's accountant if he knew of a policy?

Also, could this policy have been through the Navy?

If not, all insurance companies go through the Medical Information Bureau. If this was a newer policy, or if he recently increased limits, etc, they *may* know something about it.

http://www.mib.com/

Good luck and my condolences for the loss of your father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">