• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied itemized Medical Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

monnickasmommy

What is the name of your state? Az

My hospital is denying me a copy if my itemized bill for the reason is : I have very good Primary Insurance and AHCCCS as a secondary- they keep telling me there is a law that I can not have my a copy of my bill because I am on AHCCCS
so I emailed AHCCCS and this is the reply I got back
I am not aware of any law that would keep the hospital from providing you with an itemized statement of charges that you have incurred. There are laws, however, that would prohibit them from giving you someone else's statement unless it is your dependent child's or someone for which you have
a medical power of attorney. I hope this answers your question.
So I took this to the Hospital and they said " I need to see if this is a true copy of your email- (I had the Headers on it from and to) So everyday I called AHCCCS and EVERYONE i have spoke to told me that there is no law-

Does anyone know of a law on this matter ??

lkc15507

monnickasmommy said:
What is the name of your state? Az

My hospital is denying me a copy if my itemized bill for the reason is : I have very good Primary Insurance and AHCCCS as a secondary- they keep telling me there is a law that I can not have my a copy of my bill because I am on AHCCCS
so I emailed AHCCCS and this is the reply I got back
I am not aware of any law that would keep the hospital from providing you with an itemized statement of charges that you have incurred. There are laws, however, that would prohibit them from giving you someone else's statement unless it is your dependent child's or someone for which you have
a medical power of attorney. I hope this answers your question.
So I took this to the Hospital and they said " I need to see if this is a true copy of your email- (I had the Headers on it from and to) So everyday I called AHCCCS and EVERYONE i have spoke to told me that there is no law-

Does anyone know of a law on this matter ??
I see this as another example of our fine government run amuck. Good intentions gone bad. Recently a federal law was passed that limits the passing of confidential personal health information. (PHI). Although well intentioned, this law did not do much new. (It actually started as a financial bill.) Laws were already in effect to protect this info; and most health care practitioners worth their salt already did so. However, this new law serves to scare folks to a new level of awareness and hyperdiligence. The law is enforced on a complaint by complaint basis. As AHCCCS appears to me to be anacronym for Arizona's Medicaid system, I suspect your provider is being over diligent. This new law is a federal law and the federal government oversees individual states Medicaid programs. The law was never intended to keep one's own PHI from them, yet providers are over board. I will leave the major hunting up to you, but you may find your answers in 45CFR164. (Code of federal regulations). Easily accessible from a Google search.

Best to you,
lkc15507

M

monnickasmommy

I am calling a attorney tomorrow because I did get in touch with some one at the Office of Public Consultant Group (they are higher than AHCCCS) and I was also told that I can have a copy of my itemized bill because I have primary Insurance.

Also in the hospital hand book on Policys it has in there -
What are your rights ? Right to Request your Medical Information: You have the right to look at your own medical information and to get a copy of that information. This includes your medical records, YOUR BILLING RECORDS, and other records we use to make decisions about your care .. ect

No where does it say I can not have it because AHCCCS is my secondary Insurance.

lkc15507--I will leave the major hunting up to you
Trust me it has been fun and exciting - I have contacted the ARizona Department of Health Services (My daughter'sNICU nurse told me to)Next I will be contacting the Hospital CEO/President and the Civil Rights Group for this Hospital- I want to know what I get charged for - Once I was charged for a shot I never got for 25.00 and yes my insurance allready paid it in full befor I got the itemized bill.
I have been denied twice once in the amount of $391.00 MY husbands insurance paid 100% of that and the other one I am still fighting in the amount of $2590.13-my son had RSV was really sick, had to have breathing treatments and shots to take care of it- I had no idea he was that sick- Spent 2 days in the hospital and they released him when I was not there and came home sick!! Yes I did just get that bill in the mail, they can sure "bill" me but can not supply me a copy of itemized expences ?

I will keep you posted on the out come

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">