• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jude Hansen

My disability payments from UNUM will expire the end of Dec. I rec. SS disability monthly, but it is slight. I am not healthy enough to return to work. The treatment for cancer has left me with scar tissue in my lungs and severe shortness of breath from radiation, chronic fatigue and muscle weakness and pain. UNUM claims since my prev. job was sedentery that I should be able to work. (I was an Admin Ass't -I am 58 and live in CA.)
There is no way I can make it through a day of work as yet. What do I need to do so UNUM will continue the payments? It is only $500 mo, but means food on my table! I have talked to them in person, and it did no good? Please help me asap. Thanks, Jude

ALawyer

This seems as if it will continue to be a battle between you and their experts.

A lawyer should be able to do what is necessary -- carefully review the actual policy language and the medical records and get your doctors to prepare a report that demonstrates that you are disabled.

The possibility that UNUM is engaging in "bad faith" is real and if you'll read the section about bad faith on FreeAdvice.com you'll get a clue as to how to proceed. But my sense is that it will take a lawyer to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">