• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate changes beneficiary AFTER death and receives annuity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Queen__

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My (ex-step) grandfather passed away a few years ago, he had no will so his very estranged daughter was next of kin and the head of his estate. My grandfather was was still very close to my grandmother and raised my sister and I like we were his blood.

My grandmother was listed on some of his accounts (he listed her after their divorce) so we went to the bank after his death for her to handle those accounts. We were told that my sister and I were beneficiaries of an annuity and had the option to take it out then and there but my grandmother did not want us to touch the money until we graduated.

Long story short 2 years ago his daughter received payment from the insurance company for this annuity. I was the first to graduate this year so I just found about about it. I called the company and inquired how she received that money when I was the beneficiary and they will not disclose this information. All they told me was that YES I was named the beneficiary at one time and that YES it was changed.

I'm confused. What could she have possibly done to change the beneficiaries AFTER his death and receive the payout that he specified was for my sis and I?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">