• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Excluding child as beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wileybunch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Spouse is named as primary beneficiary on private term life insurance policy. Children are named as contingent beneficiaries. What is the best way, legally speaking, to exclude an adult child as a contingent beneficiary? Simply not name them or list them and specify 0% share?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Spouse is named as primary beneficiary on private term life insurance policy. Children are named as contingent beneficiaries. What is the best way, legally speaking, to exclude an adult child as a contingent beneficiary? Simply not name them or list them and specify 0% share?
Yep, not listing a beneficiary means that that person has no right to the life insurance. Did you call the insurance company and ask them your question?

(P.S. That's a hint. ;))

wileybunch

Yep, not listing a beneficiary means that that person has no right to the life insurance. Did you call the insurance company and ask them your question?

(P.S. That's a hint. ;))
Yes. Their offices were already closed for the day when I called, but I need the form from them anyway so of course will be calling again. But I don't necessarily want just the insurance company's answer about what is the correct legal way to make sure something isn't contested. I didn't know if a private insurance policy beneficiary could be contested like a will can when a child (albeit, an adult one) isn't specifically provided for or excluded.

nextwife

Yes. Their offices were already closed for the day when I called, but I need the form from them anyway so of course will be calling again. But I don't necessarily want just the insurance company's answer about what is the correct legal way to make sure something isn't contested. I didn't know if a private insurance policy beneficiary could be contested like a will can when a child (albeit, an adult one) isn't specifically provided for or excluded.
There is NO legal OBLIGATION to leave an ADULT child life insurance benefits! Therefore, there is no "contestablitity" issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">