• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home owners insurance - lightning strike, neighbor's trees, damage to my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RHyland

Delaware - My neighbor had two trees struck by lightning. The trees fell in my yard and caused damage to my property. Damage included lost picnic table and benches, gutter damage, and damage to two trees I ended up removing.

Who is responsible for this damage? My neighbor's insurance company or mine. Please advise. Thanks.

By the way, I have already submitted the claim through my insurance company.

Q

Questions_101

Recently went throught the same thing

This also happened to me in VA.

My insurance co. told me since it was a lightning strike it was an "Act of God" so your insurance company will pay for damages on your property.

If they were NOT liable believe me they wouldn't pay a dime.

Now if the tree was rotten and you told your neighbor the condition of his tree concerned you and then the tree fell....Then your neighbor would be resposible for any bills incured because of the tree.:)

JETX

Questions is correct. Since the damage was not due to negligence (known tree hazard and ignored) or malice by the neighbor, you are responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">