• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House Party Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rade0041

What is the name of your state? I live in Minnesota.

I often have parties at my house. From the Deck attached to my house it is very easy to get on the roof. People sometimes go and walk around up there on the roof during the party. Obviously I shouln't let people do that. If I just post a sign telling people not to climb on my roof, will that protect me from being sued?

Also related to parties... I believe that in Minnesota you can be held responsible if a guest at your party is involved in an alchohol related accident after leaving the party. Of course, I encourage people to stay and not drive drunk but it is difficult to control people sometimes. Is there anything I can do to protect myself here?

I know, I know, I probably just shouldn't have any parties. :)

ALawyer

Under most states' laws the mere sign will NOT protect you. And also, under most states' laws you'd be civilly liable if you serve alcohol or permit them to drink and they then drive while drunk.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

. . . unlike California where we have "Civil Code section 1714(b)" which protects a "social host" from the liability and damages caused by their drunken guests.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">