• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to find out beneficiary of deceased's policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KatrinaK13

Arizona. Is there any way to find out the life insurance beneficiary of someone who is deceased? I KNOW my mother had a substantial policy and I believe my disabled brother was the beneficiary. Only problem is, his APPOINTED guardian has not mentioned it and is actually telling my brother that he has to be accountable for more of his bills. HELP!!:eek:

Dandy Don

If your mother had an estate that was probated, go to the county courthouse probate court and look at the file to find out the name of the estate executor or administrator. It is my understanding that normally the insurance companies will not release the beneficiary information to anyone other than the executor/administrator of the estate, although I do not know that for certain. They might release it to interested, immediate next-of-kin.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

KatrinaK13

I know who the executor is, it's my brother's guardian. The insurance company more or less told me it is none of my business. What if I hired a private investigator? Does anyone know if they have access to this kind of information?:confused:

BlondiePB

If your mother had an estate that was probated, go to the county courthouse probate court and look at the file to find out the name of the estate executor or administrator. It is my understanding that normally the insurance companies will not release the beneficiary information to anyone other than the executor/administrator of the estate, although I do not know that for certain. They might release it to interested, immediate next-of-kin.
The funds will go to the guardian for the ward.

Dandy Don

Have you discussed this matter with your disabled brother to find out perhaps if HE signed any paperwork regarding this matter or if he knows whether he received a check as beneficiary from the insurance company?

justalayman

come on Don. OP apparently spoke with the insurance company and was told it was not they who was the bene. After that point, it becomes none of their business.

katrina. why do you feel you are entitled to this info? If you are not the bene, you have no legal interest in the policy so have no right to the info unless you somehow believe the bene was illegally changed.

Dandy Don

Come on, YOURSELF, justalayman--learn how to read between the lines. She is obviously concerned that her disabled brother may be being taken advantage of financially and is trying to protect him. If there is adequate money in his account for his needs to be taken care of, there is no need for a guardian to be telling him he needs to be "accountable" for more of his bills.

justalayman

ok, fine;

OP has no legal grounds to force disclosure of named beneficiary based upon information provided.

Since Don wants to play this game, he should at least offer direction to allow such a disclosure in the event he is correct. His suggestion of :

is total BS and will not result in release of the sought information.

So Don, want to provide some helpful information or does somebody else have to do that for you as well.

In truth, this has nothing to do with who was the bene. If OP believes the guardian is acting improperly, there are systems in place to address that but it is not going to make any dofference to know who the bene is for those actions.

Hi Blondie. How ya been?

Last edited:

KatrinaK13

Thank you for all the comments. You are right, technically it is none of my business. I just was concerned for my brother. :(

BlondiePB

My mom appointed him guardian upon her death.
Sorry, only a court can appoint a guardian of an adult or a minor child when a parent(s) are not available regardless of what is written in a will.

Therefore, if the court appointed your brother a guardian, is your brother a minor or an adult?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">