• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to find out if someone in family took out policy on another family member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Renee Tello

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Just this passed Thursday my great aunt passed away due to a fire in her home. The nurse who was a live-in took care of my great aunt for the last 7 years. My great aunt was 83 years old and was wheel-chair bound because of severe arthritis. The nurse who lived with my aunt stated that she tried everything she could too put out the fire but couldn't. Her story has too many holes and things do not add up. She has also changed her story a couple of times too. I do not believe her antything she says because if she was present at the home like she said she was the entire house wouldn't have burnt down. The fire was started by a cigarette my aunt was smoking. The nurse was fully aware of how my aunt did not have full use of her arms, hands, legs and feet and if smoking has to be watched after more so. It was because of her neglegence that my aunt died because she left her alone smoking cigarettes and left her unattended. There have been unusual remarks made by this nurse prior to this incident that makes me believe foul play was involved. My question is how can I find out if the nurse who lived with my aunt and was to care for her took out an insurance policy out on my aunt? What information would I need to find this out?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

How much of an insurance policy can you get on a lady that age that is a smoker? I dont know of any company that would insure her.

R

Renee Tello

From what I understand anyone can take out an insurance policy on anyone. I don't think the issue is that my aunt was an occasional smoker. She didn't die from lung cancer, old age, or natural causes.... but died in a fire. Which I think that would be considered an "accidental death".... if I am correct.

The nurse is there to make sure things like this don't happen. But the truth is ... she left her patient (my aunt) alone in the house sitting in a wheelchair.... and gave her the cigarettes. The nurse is fully aware that she can't smoke unsupervised.

The thing I can't get over is the nurse who lived with my aunt and has taken care of her the past 7 years, showed no remourse, no emotion, no guilt.........NOTHING. There are alot of other unusual things that were done/not done and said from this nurse.

I am and many others too, are deeply suspicious about this nurse. Which brings me to believe of a motive. But how do I find out if she did take an insurance policy out?

Again, the cause of death is considered an "accident".

Regardless of the cause of death, don't you think it would be somewhat difficult to find an insurance company that would issue a policy for you aunt at her age, especially considering the fact that she is a smoker?

If you think that the nurse's motivation was to insure your aunt for a hefty sum and then set up an 'accidental' fire, how do you propose that she was able to convince a life ins co to insure your aunt?

I am not saying that the nurse was not negligent. I am saying that you need to look closely at what you are insinuating as fas as the life ins goes. It seems highly unlikely, IMO.

K

knotcops

The nurse does not have an "insurable interest" with your aunt, so it is unlikely that she would be able to obtain a life policy on her own. Not to say she didn't convince the aunt to take it out and make the nurse the beneficiary. There are companies that will write policies on anybody, for a price!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">