• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I accidently broke the glass in a vending machine, am I legally responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kandra1

I live in Washington, DC. I attempted to purchase a bag of chips from the vending machine at work. I deposited the money and selected the chips I wanted. The lever which held the chips in place turned slightly but not enough to release the chips. I tried to free the chips by bumping the machine with my right hip. On the third bump, the glass covering the machine shattered. Other co-workers have shaken and bumped the machine in the past. I was informed post-accident that the dealer had been notified on several occasions that the vending machine was not dispensing the food properly. Who is financially responsible? Me, my employer, or will insurance likely cover this accident?

ALawyer

If "it just broke" you would not be responsible -- if you mishandled the machine tthe damage you caused would be your responsibility. It will probably just go away, but if not I doubt your homeowners coverage would apply, and what they would do is threaten you and you would say youare not responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">