• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Company through Job didn't tell it all....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Taliana

I work a part-time job and am a full-time student. I work at a manufacturing company that recently merged with another company. After the merge they offered Aflack (unsure of spelling) to all employees who didn't have it. The salesman came in and gave a brief overview to all the employees. I was not included in this meeting, because of my part-time status.

Later in the day, he met with everybody individually, myself included to set up our plans. I signed up for several. Here's what I was NOT told. The total charges were a WEEKLY deduction and I would NOT be allowed to withdraw from the program until December.

I thought the charges were monthly. I was misinformed. The charges are also taken after taxes. So, now I'm locked into 1/3 of my check being deducted on a weekly basis. Why CAN'T I be dropped from the policy, considering I wasn't given all the details? Had I known the charges were weekely AND I couldn't get out of it until DECEMBER, I never would have done this in the first place! What can I do short of quitting my job?

ALawyer

TDespite the cute duck they use on TV to plug the products, AFLAC guys are paid big commissions to really suck people into buying insurance they don't need. ZIn fact the whole AFLAC business is built on scaring people into buying overly expensive products that cover a rare event during the lifetime of the policy. To sell the crap some salesguys lie.

Your employer's payroll department does not want the hassle of changing payroll deductions and thus imposes an arbitrary policy of no changes except once a quarter. (That's NOT what the law requires.)

If you were lied to -- and others also say they were simiarly lied to (so it is not just your word against the salesguy's) -- then go to the employer and say what happend and see if you can get a senior person to make an exception to their payroll practices in light of the fraud, and sugest that they reexamine whether they want to do business with firms that lie to their employees.

Say there is no sense of you working just to pay taxes and the insurance you were defrauded into taking, and in light of special circumstances they drop the deduction, or get AFLAC to make a refund. If you have to, quit unless they drop the deduction.

And also complain to your state department of insurance and the chief compliance officer at AFLAC (it is based in Georgia). And send a copy of the letter to the CEO of your company if the company did not help you out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">