• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it to late to check on a policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Willyp

What is the name of your state? Washington

My father died in 1998 (heart attack) when I was 18, I remember finding a notice of payment due in the mail from a life insurance company but I didnt think to look into it. He never told me he had a policy. My mother said she found something online about unclaimed money under his name. I was wondering who I could contact or how I could find information if he had a policy or who it was through. If he did have a policy would it be too late to collect.What is the name of your state?

moburkes

No, its never too late to collect on a life insurance policy. However, you don't know if the poilcy was active at the time of your father's death. Since there was a notice of payment due, there should be some type of record of his payments. Follow that trail to the life insurance company. Your mother will probably have to do the work since they will only disclose info to either the insured or the bene, which was probably your mom.

Dandy Don

Problem is that the policy may not be in force if he forgot or was unable to pay the premiums.

If he lived in Washington, check the state of Washington unclaimed funds website (you can find a link to it through www.naupa.org) and see if his name is there. If it is, your mother can file a claim to get the money.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Betty

The MIB web site (whether the policy is currently in force or not) will tell you if an individually underwritten life ins. application was processed by an ins. co. in the past ten years - they check their data base of inquiries to them.
You might want to try Dandy Don's suggestion first (good suggestion) since the MIB check costs $75.00 & is just on inquiries submitted to them by ins. cos. within the past ten years. The MIB web site is another option though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">