• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Beneficiary/Divorced/Death/Ex-wife is still beneficiary/Contest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

friendoffriend2

What is the name of your state? Oregon. I am in search of some advice for my friend, 25 years old, whose father passed away earlier this month. Her father and mother were divorced in 1996 when she and her sister were teenagers. Her father's life insurance beneficiary was in her mother's name. After the divorce, the mother became estranged from my friend, her sister, and her father. My friend and her father were very close. He died at work of a heart attack January 10 at the age of 52. He did not have a will. My friend is being named the executor of his estate which is okay with her sister. She has now learned that her mother who she does not speak with at all is still named as beneficiary of his life insurance which is $225,000. My friend is desperately wanting to be able to keep her father's house but needs this money to pay the mortgage of the house to keep it. Her mother says that my friend will not get the money because she needs it more than my friend. My friend would like to know if there is any way she can contest this. She has many witnesses who know that her mother has not been in the picture for almost 10 years and also how close her father and she were.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">