+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    researcher3 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4

    Life insurance records

    What is the name of your state? VA.

    The deaths occurred in MD, PA and FL.

    I have heard/read that people can take out a life insurance policy on almost anyone. I am currently investigating the death of my relatives and want to know if there are any public records that indicate that someone collected life insurance on another persons' life.

    I see in other posts that 'probate court' was mentioned. What about public records pertaining to taxes paid on a life insurance collection?

    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. #2
    Betty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Il.(near StL, Mo.)
    Posts
    3,299
    Quote Originally Posted by researcher3 View Post
    What is the name of your state? VA.

    The deaths occurred in MD, PA and FL.

    I have heard/read that people can take out a life insurance policy on almost anyone. I am currently investigating the death of my relatives and want to know if there are any public records that indicate that someone collected life insurance on another persons' life.

    I see in other posts that 'probate court' was mentioned. What about public records pertaining to taxes paid on a life insurance collection?

    Any help would be appreciated.
    It's not true that people can take out life ins. on just anyone - there has to be an insurable interest. Usually life ins. proceeds paid at the death of the insured to a named bene are received by that person income tax free.

    Life ins. proceeds are not part of the estate - the proceeds pass outside the estate (unless estate is bene) and, therefore, not subject to probate. You can, however, contact the courts in the counties where your relatives died & where probate would have been opened to see if there is any info pertaining to any life ins. policies. Do you believe you might have been named bene on any of these policies or just curious as to who received the proceeds?
  3. #3
    Dandy Don is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    9,495
    If you found anything in the probate records, you would be very lucky, since insurance payments are normally made outside of the estate and there is almost no chance of this being mentioned in the probate records, although I do agree that they are a good place to start.

    There is not likely to be anything about this in public records. You may be better off asking the executor of the estate or a private investigator or a police department detective to try to request this information for you. Normally the insurance companies won't release the information unless a lawsuit or court case is involved.

    You may also want to find out how to order the decedent's medical records through the Medical Information Bureau. Many times the life insurance company makes inquiries for the applicant's medical records and the name of the insurance company is kept on file (similar to what is done during a credit bureau check by creditors or employers).

    DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA (tiekh@yahoo.com)
  4. #4
    Betty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Il.(near StL, Mo.)
    Posts
    3,299
    You can try the MIB as suggested by Dandy Don. They have a website where they will check for policies for a fee ($75.00). Also, they only have records on individual underwritten life ins. applications processed within the last 11 years.
    [url]http://www.mib.com/html/lost-life-insurance.html[/url] Good luck.
  5. #5
    researcher3 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Do you believe you might have been named bene on any of these policies or just curious as to who received the proceeds?

    No, I am not looking for the money for me. I thought that someone could benefit from someone's death, someone who wasn't even related. I am trying to see if anyone benefitted by their death.
  6. #6
    researcher3 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandy Don View Post
    If you found anything in the probate records, you would be very lucky, since insurance payments are normally made outside of the estate and there is almost no chance of this being mentioned in the probate records, although I do agree that they are a good place to start.

    There is not likely to be anything about this in public records. You may be better off asking the executor of the estate or a private investigator or a police department detective to try to request this information for you. Normally the insurance companies won't release the information unless a lawsuit or court case is involved.

    You may also want to find out how to order the decedent's medical records through the Medical Information Bureau. Many times the life insurance company makes inquiries for the applicant's medical records and the name of the insurance company is kept on file (similar to what is done during a credit bureau check by creditors or employers).

    DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA (tiekh@yahoo.com)
    Thank you Dandy Don. Your MIB information sounds good. Thanks again.
  7. #7
    researcher3 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    You can try the MIB as suggested by Dandy Don. They have a website where they will check for policies for a fee ($75.00). Also, they only have records on individual underwritten life ins. applications processed within the last 11 years.
    [url]http://www.mib.com/html/lost-life-insurance.html[/url] Good luck.

    Thank you very much, again, Betty.
    I will try yours and Don's advice.
    Thanks again.
  8. #8
    Betty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Il.(near StL, Mo.)
    Posts
    3,299
    [QUOTE=researcher3;1647308]No, I am not looking for the money for me. I thought that someone could benefit from someone's death, someone who wasn't even related. I am trying to see if anyone benefitted by their death.[/QUOTE}

    When the insured dies, proceeds are paid to the beneficiary named in the policy. However, there has to be an insurable interest - a loss to the bene at the insured's death. For example - a wife can be the bene on her husband's policy - if he passes away, she would have a loss of his wages, etc. Normally, close/immediate family members are automatically considerd to have an insurable interest in the life of the insured. However, I could not take out a life ins. policy on your life wishing for you to die so I can get the ins. proceeds - the underwriters would not approve it. (no insurable interest) It would be like gambling on someone's life & also adverse selection against the company. To go to the extreme if someone took out a policy on someone else where there is no insurable interest & named theirself bene, they could kill the person, try to make it look accidental & put in a claim for the pol. proceeds. Also, when an ins. pol. is taken out on an adult, they have to sign the application agreeing to the ins. on their life. You can't just take out policies on people w/o their consent hoping to make money off their death. Sorry this was so long - just trying to explain the insured/bene relationship. When the app. for ins. is completed, the relationship of the bene to the insured has to be listed.
  9. #9
    Dandy Don is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    9,495
    I have no experience with MIB so I don't know how reliable they are or aren't, and they don't operate in all states, so if you have problems getting information from them, consult with your (or any physician or doctor) to get information about how and where to request medical records.

    DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA (tiekh@yahoo.com)
  10. #10
    Betty is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Il.(near StL, Mo.)
    Posts
    3,299
    I believe the OP will probably have a problem trying to get medical records released to them on someone other than theirself. (privacy practices/laws) The MIB would only tell OP if they have a record of an individually underwritten life ins. app. processed within the past 11 yrs. on the name(s) OP submits. If they do, they will furnish name of ins. company only. If they don't have a record, I don't think trying to get medical info from a dr. or hosp. on these people is going to work - doubt if info would be given out. "Facilities" usually will not give out the info except to the patient theirself with written authorization - not a third party friend or relative.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 12:50 PM
  2. Dad passed, had life, records lost, now what?
    By Phill407 in forum Life Insurance & Annuities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 01:14 PM
  3. Life Of Records
    By GTSRider in forum Drunk Driving / DUI / DWI
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 09:58 AM
  4. Life Insurance rider to Health Insurance Policy
    By Homer2big in forum Life Insurance & Annuities
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 06:30 PM
  5. Kid's Insurance Records
    By difficult3 in forum Health Insurance and HMO Plans
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 09:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.