• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance rider to Health Insurance Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Homer2big

What is the name of your state? PA

I'm the Executor for my bother's estate. His Health Insurance Certificate (40 + page policy) has a section regarding Life Insurance. Later on in the Certificate it references the early section for Life payouts. The Health Insurance company states "this policy did not have a Life Insurance rider". No where in this Certificate does it mention N/A like it did for other types of coverage.

Please advise.

Betty

What is the name of your state? PA

I'm the Executor for my bother's estate. His Health Insurance Certificate (40 + page policy) has a section regarding Life Insurance. Later on in the Certificate it references the early section for Life payouts. The Health Insurance company states "this policy did not have a Life Insurance rider". No where in this Certificate does it mention N/A like it did for other types of coverage.

Please advise.
Since you mention certificate, was this health ins. through his employer or was it an individual policy? What type of health ins. "contract" was this - dr./hosp. payments, disability income, etc.
edited to add add'l. info: I know some group health ins. coverage will sometimes attach a life ins. rider for a small amount. Did you ask the person at the ins. co. to explain what the info meant that you are questioning? What did they say other than no life ins. rider on pol.? Did the cert. give an amt. of life ins.? Was there a beneficiary listed?

Last edited:

Homer2big

Life Insurance Rider

Individual Policy; Dr / Hosp coverage; I did ask what it meant, but they couldn't answer me. All they could say was that the Policy does not have a Life Insurance Rider, but when I pressed the issue they said they'll have to "find" this certificate and research it. They will be calling me back. It lists $15,000 for Life. Interesting in that they have a beneficiary listed (my brother's common-law wife); why would this be if there's no Life Insurance rider?

Betty

Individual Policy; Dr / Hosp coverage; I did ask what it meant, but they couldn't answer me. All they could say was that the Policy does not have a Life Insurance Rider, but when I pressed the issue they said they'll have to "find" this certificate and research it. They will be calling me back. It lists $15,000 for Life. Interesting in that they have a beneficiary listed (my brother's common-law wife); why would this be if there's no Life Insurance rider?
It sounds like there might be a life ins. rider. Usually on one of the policy pages it lists costs for ins. + cost for any add'l. riders. Do you see a cost for a life ins. rider? I'm curious to know what they say when they call you back - you have an amt. & a beneficiary.

Homer2big

Health Insurance Policy with Life Insurance Rider

There is a "BOM" dollar amount listed, but no "additional" amount for Life Insurance. They have not called me back yet. I will be reaching out to them again today or tomorrow.

moburkes

If he wasn't paying a premium for that coverage, it doesn't exist. For example, on your auto insurance policy (that huge packet), it refers to collision and comprehensive coverage, rental, towing, etc. But if you aren't paying a premium for those coverages, they are not automatically included.

Homer2big

Copy that. When asked if there was a beneficiary to the Life portion they stated yes and gave me my sister in-laws name. Why would there be beneficiary if no Life Ins. Rider?

moburkes

I understand what you are saying, but where do you show the premiums are being paid? You said that its an individual policy. Where are the bills? The bills should be broken down into parts. 1 part for $x.xx for health, 1 part for $x.xx for life. Maybe he stopped paying on the life? I don't know. I'm trying to help you figure it out, too.

Homer2big

No, there was no itemized breakdown so I guess it is the "auto insurance policy" analogy mentioned above in the works here. I can't seem to get past the beneficiary thing.

Betty

Let's see what they say when they call you back (hopefully they will) - if they say there is no life ins., then there apparently isn't. You might ask if the premium that was being paid was for health ins. only though I would assume it was if they say there is no life ins. benefit & if there is no cost for life ins. listed in the policy pages.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">