• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Term Disability/Social Security Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moshca

I worked for the State of Michigan in Social Services for over 8 years and due to ongoing medical, was given an ultimatum by my supr. Find a new job, start showing up for work every day and not call in sick or go to so many Dr. appts., or go off on disability. I enjoyed my job and the financial stability. More or less had enough and couldn't handle my health and work fulltime so went off work and onto disability. I had absolutely no problem qualifying. My question lies here; the disability carrier for the State of Mi. is Aetna. Everything went hunky dory for the first 18 months. Then a representative comes to my home and tells me that in order to continue receiving monies from Aetna, while waiting for my SSD to be approved, I had to sign paperwork that stated that if approved SSD I must repay Aetna all benefits they have given me. In order to have the LTD with Aetna, I paid a premium, every payday for the benefit, in case I may need it. As do thousands of other workers. I had never seen a "policy" when signing up for the insurance, and now they are also saying that if my daughter is approved benefits as a dependent of mine, I also must give them that money. They did not provide extra money monthly because I had a dependent. I can't understand how they can collect premiums, then more or less force you to agree to pay them back. They also state that if I do not give them the money, they will withhold my benefits that make up the difference between SSD and my entitled LTD monthly amount, for over a year. Can they garnish disability payments?? And how can they force repay on a policy that people pay premiums on for possible benefits??? The handbook given at initial sign up states that if you are approved for SSD, you "may" have to repay Aetna.

Thanks for your time.

Bonnie

ssi goes back to the date of injury. if i can explain this right, there is a formula and you lose your disability almost dollar for dollar I do not remenber it being the whole amount. this is the way it was explained to me. that is why people hold off filing for ss if they expect a settlement from their insurance(get the cash settlement and then file for ss). were you vested in your retirement? i do not remember if the state retirement is 5 years or 10, if it is 5 years you have some money coming to you. but are you talking about comp disability or duty disability retirement regardless you will lose a portion of ssi

M

moshca

not ssi

I am approved for RSDI/Social Security Disabilty, not SSI. I did not have my 10 years in yet. This is not a comp. claim. It is disabilty due to medical problems not involved with work, I have polycystic kidneys and liver, ileostomy, crohn's disease, high blood pressure, pinched nerve in neck, kidney stones, fibromyalgia. And I don't want anything else!!(o;

My question concerns that I paid premiums for the disability insurance through work. I made the claim when needed, but after 18 months, I had to agree to repay monthly benefits if approved Social Security, in order to continue to receive benefits that I paid premiums for. They not only have the premiums, but require people to pay back benefits. So what did I pay for??

I paid monies to them for this benefit, and I also paid monies to Social Security. So are hundreds of other workers. It seems to me that Aetna has both hands in the pot.

Bonnie

F

failenn216

Do not sign anything with Aetna until you talk to an attorney. Call your local bar association and get the name of an attorney who specializes in Social Security disability or plaintiff's insurance law--try to find a lawyer will give you a free consultation. Insurance Companies like Aetna can & do try to take advantage of your ignorance so arm yourself with knowledge, especially since your policy terms appear somewhat vague. It seems they can't now make you sign this if you didn't agree to it in the beginning.

I do know that your Social Security benefits will be offset because of your State disability payments. Therefore, you don't want to lose more of your benefits by agreeing to anything with Aetna. If you go to www.ssa.gov, you may be able to find out more about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">